I wonder why .....

Started by outdoorsfellar, December 07, 2009, 12:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

I'm doing ribs today per the 10.5 way & I'm perplexed as to why my ET-73 is giving me two different temp readings. My PID is staying right where I want it at @ 220, yet the ET in the garage is reading 200 & in the house, the reciever is 183. At the beginning at the smoke, all 3 were pretty much in line with one another & now they're way off. I did install new batteries prior to turning them on & the outside temp is in the 20's. My rig is set up in the garage, though I don't know what the weather would have to do with such a difference. If it weren't for the PID, I'd really be banging my head into the way...lol

After 1st posting this, I went up & turned both of them off & back on & then they are now both in sync.... BUT, then they both started loosing temp reading & are dropping down to the upper 180's from the 200 reading they 1st had when I turned them back on.   Odd

FLBentRider

How far is the ET-73 sensor from the PID sensor ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

outdoorsfellar

...and I should have mentioned the ET sensor is right on top of the PID sensor.

mikeradio

Mine did something very similar, once I replaced the batteries they read the same temperature. Maybe one of your new batteries is bad????

Mike

FLBentRider

My display on the remote is a little wonky, but I think it has to do with some "deceleration trauma" that it experienced.

I would probably replace the batteries again.

If it persists I would put both probes (just the tips!!) in somed boiling water and see what they read.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

outdoorsfellar

LOL, every time I go up & check the readings, it's something different. Now the garage reading is 233 & the kitchen is 190. I wondered about the batteries, which could be a very good possibility. I'm using Duracell " Procells", so I'll just play with them for a bit more & see what happens.

Tenpoint5

It could be as simple as the receiver isnt getting a good signal from the sending unit. Mine does that depending on where in the house I put it. Guess you will just have to go out into the garage and enjoy an Adult beverage while checking on the Bradley. It really is a hard job smoking with the Bradley and you do need the liquid refreshments!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Is the PID and the ET-73 sender unit reading the same temp ?

And then the ET-73 remote is displaying a different temp than the sender ?

That seems like it would be interference. Mine has never done that, but then it's only about 25 to 50 feet and most of it is glass.

If you have a Microwave oven (in use) or a wifi router / AP / cordless phone / electrical panel, etc... in the line of sight between the sender and receiver.

The Maverick runs @ 433Mhz, so those items should not interfere. Come to think of it, some of my weather station stuff runs at 433Mhz....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

outdoorsfellar

Hmmmm.... I've changed batteries. The ET is in the garage & the reciever is in the kitchen... 15 ft away. Nothing is running that would cause interference. I do have WiFi, but that's on the other side of the house & this has never happened before. I'm having three different readings. Right now, in mid sentence, I looked again & both ET's are the same... at this moment, but still, 20 degrees higher than the PID. This is my first cold weather smoking, so .... having a drink in the garage while it's spitting snow outside wouldn't be much fun...lol. I'll just have to stick to the Mt Dew in my recliner    ;D .   I emptied my Bud Lite supply the other night.  :'(

OU812

I had something like this happen to me, with only one of the probes, and it ended up the probe was bad. Might want to check your probes in some boiling water as FLB has stated.

Habanero Smoker

When this has happened to me, it was caused by some sort of interference. I had the receiver too close to my computer tower, and the display got stuck on the last signal that it had received. After moving it away from the computer, it started receiving the signal again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Ah, thats it, shake it, works on just about every thing.

outdoorsfellar

Quote from: OU812 on December 07, 2009, 02:05:02 PM
Ah, thats it, shake it, works on just about every thing.

I had made a post about shaking the reciever & then things were in sync, but I deleted it when I soon found out that it wasn't a fix. JUST the same, one thing I never mentioned, was that I wasn't using the food probe all day. Things were ok for the first few hrs, then that's when I started posting about this issue when things started changing. I NOW have inserted the food probe, & for whatever reason that my inexperince has not figured out, the ETs ARE in sync with one another, but still, it is not matching the PID as before.  I never had this issue when NOT using the food probe before, such as my ABTs, so I dunno. All of this running back & forth has made me all the hungrier.... it's time to eat !

KevinG

Maybe you have a neighbor on the same signal, could be screwing with yours.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Quarlow

You know I was having a lot of trouble with my wireless internet and phone company cablevision. Every time the phone rang the cable and internet would cut out. It took them 2 months to figure out what was wrong. It turned out the cordless phone was on the same frequency as the wireless modem. They changed the frequency of the modem and all was fine. Wierd.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.