Original vs Digital?

Started by watchdog56, December 07, 2009, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Does anyone have both of these? If so which one do you prefer? The reason I am asking is that my sister is looking at getting one for her husband but not sure if she should spend the extra $150 for the digital. I told her I like mine 4rack digital but I also bought the programmable PID because I do sausage and need to control my temp better. Not sure if there is a different method of cooking with the original smoker or not?
She was wondering if I could find anything out. Thanks.

Quarlow

Well it really boils down to, what will he do with it and how much of a load is he going to put in it. If he is just going to do the odd smoke here and there, then an OBS is going to be fine. It will do everything he will need and he probably doesn't need the 6 rack for the add space. If he likes to entertain and feed large partys at home then he should have a 6 rack. I have the OBS and I can control my temps pretty good with just the right amount of nugding the control but it takes time to get the teemp set right and then as the food warms up so does the tower and then you have to adjust the controller again so it is a constant adjusting process. For me cause I do large loads of salmon at one time, I really wish I could have the 6 rack with my OBS smoke generator. When I can afford to I will be getting the Auber PID and then when I can find a food proofer, I will be building a large smoker with the parts from my Bradley. So you just have to way as many options as you can think he may want to do and see what you think. I guess that didn't help much did it. ???
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

lumpy

I have a BDS and a PID with a Maverick that I use for salmon and sausages............it really impresses the guests with all the blinking lights. ;)
They all tell me that I sure know what I'm doing.....shhhh..... lets not tell them how easy it is.

Roasts and ribs, just the BDS.

Lumpy

Old_Sarge

I grabbed the OBS and spent the extra $150 on an Auber PID rather than buying the digital model. I have a very unpredictable work schedule, and the PID gives me peace of mind knowing that I can set up my smoke and not worry about the meat being ruined if I'm called away unexpectedly. I taught my son how to check the meat thermometer, shut down the smoker, pull out the meat, and foil/towel/cooler it in the event that, worse case scenario, I am away for longer than the meat needs to be in the Bradley.

Oldman

My money is on the original with a PID controller. The reason is the temp swings of the digital. Those swings don't mean much when doing pulled pork, but they sure can cause a problem when doing sausage where 165F up an down has to be maintained.

Also unless there has been a change it seems to me the digital will turn itself off after some 9 hours or so.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

watchdog56

I have not ran into problem of it turning itself off. I just ran it for 15 straight hours last weekend on a pork butt. Ran great all night. Did not check until morning and PID held temp where I set it and I live in Minnesota where it was cold.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: watchdog56 on December 07, 2009, 07:01:09 PM
I have not ran into problem of it turning itself off. I just ran it for 15 straight hours last weekend on a pork butt. Ran great all night. Did not check until morning and PID held temp where I set it and I live in Minnesota where it was cold.

The DBS will shut off after 9:40. Using a PID solves that and you can run it much longer.
HawkeyeSmokes

RAF128

I have both.   I prefer the digital.   With the OBS you had to guess what temp you're setting it at.   You had to watch the thermometer and then adjust the temp setting up or down and play with it to get the temp right.   With DBS you set the temp and you're done.   Sure the temp swings up and down.   I'm sure the OBS does too but you just don't notice it.   

JF7FSU

I was a smoking newbie and bought the OBS and later added the PID.  I like the exact control of the PID vs the DBS large swings.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

classicrockgriller

I have the 4 rk digital, cause i didn't think I would want to do fish and sausage.

It has worked out great for me no complaints.

My desire to some sausage has also changed so now I have to get a PID. (still no fish for me)

So saying all of that, If I had it to do over. Since now that I want to do sausage and do it right

I would have got an OBS (lower price) and a rampable pid (auber), but I can't complain I paid 316

for my digital JB4RK BS, now just need the PID.

mikeradio

Hey CRG  Why the pid with ramp instead of step?  My first pid is step the plug and play, I just purchased another one for my cabinet smoker project and it is ramp, I am still trying to figure out thr programming.
Mike

classicrockgriller

Quote from: mikeradio on December 07, 2009, 10:58:52 PM
Hey CRG  Why the pid with ramp instead of step?  My first pid is step the plug and play, I just purchased another one for my cabinet smoker project and it is ramp, I am still trying to figure out thr programming.
Mike

That is what I was referring to (the ability to change the temp to the next chosen setting). Sorry was a bad choice of words.

tarhillsmoker

Do you purchase the PID controller from Bradley or does an after market vendor sell these?

Thanks,

Tarheelsmoker

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum tarhillsmoker!

You can find the Auber PID here -
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!