FTC

Started by Brother Bill, March 14, 2005, 04:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Bill

Since I just received my smoker I would like to know what FTC means?  

Thanks Much, Brother Bill

tsquared

FTC stands for foil, towel, cooler. When your meat gets to the desired internal temp, take it out, wrap it in foil, then a towel and then into a cooler for a few hours. This has the effect of distributing the juice throughout your meat and has a wonderful tenderizing effect. I find it great to use because it allows me to give myself plenty of time to smoke/cook a piece of meat and not have to worry about it being ready too soon. I also find it handy in situations where I am taking the food to someone else's place to eat--the cooler is a handy way to carry it and keep it hot. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Bradley.
Tom

bsolomon

Foil, towel, cooler. This is a technique used to allow the meat to rest after smoking/cooking so that the juices will redistribute into the meat.  Remove the meat from the smoker, wrap in foil (some people wrap in saran wrap and then foil), then wrap in a towel (acts as an insulator), and place in a small cooler for at least 1 hour, but preferable 2-3 hours or more.  You will be amazed that the meat is still just about as hot coming out of the cooler as it was when it went in, and in fact the internal temperature should continue to rise about another 5-7 degrees.  The difference will be that the juices will mostly stay in the meat when cut, as opposed to carving immediately where most of the juices will run out of the meat, leaving it dry.

MallardWacker

Bill,

I would plan on adding the FTC time to your overall time of cooking.  It is worth it, especially for butts, ribs and briskets.  If time is an issue, do it at least for 1hr, but 2 is better.  You don't have to do it for chicken but I would recommend it.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

well the guys told you what FTC is and does, now i will give you some tips, LOL say you are having a party at 2pm on sat, now throw your meat in at say between 6pm and 10pm on friday night, now this is for big chunks of meat that will take 12 to 14 hours to cook. now this is where the FTC comes in . say your meat is done at 10am on sat . fill up your ice chest with hot water let it sit for 20 min then empty, now wrap your meat in foil and if its a butt or a brisket add abit of apple juice on the meat wrap in foil then put some towels on the bottem of preheated icechest then all your meat then top with a few towels, and close at 2pm you are haveing fun and a few drinks, meat is all done and hot, no need to stress and wondering if you are going to have the meat done in time,[:D]
welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!