Newbie from GA needs first smoker!!

Started by wmflyfisher, December 08, 2009, 03:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmflyfisher

Hey guys,

Just found this site tonight. Thanks for all the great info! I'm looking for my first smoker but need a little help on deciding. My main factor is cost. I really don't want to spend over $150 if at all possible. Something small would be fine. I really like the gas smokers for some reason. Looking to smoke mainly jerky, chickens, turkeys, brisket, and fish. I don't need anything that holds a lot of meat. What should I look at?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Wes

ArnieM

Hi Wes and welcome to the forum!

The list on the Bradley propane smoker is $99:  http://bradleysmoker.com/propane-smoker.asp

I have no experience with it.  I have the Original Bradley Smoker.  Last I looked Amazon had it for $288, free shipping.

Looking to smoke mainly jerky, chickens, turkeys, brisket, and fish.

There's not too much else; sausage, nuts, etc.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

wmflyfisher

Thanks Arnie,

Wonder if I would be better getting an electric. I guess their a good bit more expensive though probably.

classicrockgriller

wmfly, find a partner that wants to smoke also and go in halfs. You would love a Bradley, but you are looking at the $288.

wmflyfisher

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 08, 2009, 06:59:32 PM
wmfly, find a partner that wants to smoke also and go in halfs. You would love a Bradley, but you are looking at the $288.

Thanks classic. Would I benefit greatly going from the gas to the electric at $288?? If so, then I might consider.

classicrockgriller

Look around you. Look at this forum. Look at the ability to cold smoke.

Look at the ability to smoke a good clean smoke and know how long to do.

Read the recipe site. This many people can't be wrong.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 08, 2009, 07:23:24 PM
Look around you. Look at this forum. Look at the ability to cold smoke.

Look at the ability to smoke a good clean smoke and know how long to do.

Read the recipe site. This many people can't be wrong.

I agree, for sure if you plan to use it at home, get the electric.If you need it to be mobile, then the propane would be nice.
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

You will never find a smoker that is of this caliber. With the way it burns the puck just till it is charred and then moves it of the burner so as not to cook the creosote and tars that make the bad flavours you can't equal this thing for smooking anything. It is the most handy and easiest to use smoker around.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

wmflyfisher

Thanks for all the help guys. Sucks because back during the summer a buddy of mine had a link to Cabelas where the original Bradley electric was $220 shipped :( I should have hopped on it!

Quarlow

Clean out the couch, check all the coat pockets, break open the kids piggy bank, man you won't regret it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

I wouldnt do jerky in the BPS. I did some in mine and it didnt turn out very good. Problem being heat control and the flame too close to the racks. For larger items the BPS works great. Had mine from Calif to the swamps of Fla.

Getting a Bradley new at $150 is pretty hard unless you can score a gently used one somewhere.

nepas

classicrockgriller

wmfly .... ckeck out craig's list in your area.