Corning Brisket ???

Started by ArnieM, December 08, 2009, 04:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I was hoping someone could help.

I got a small (3.6 pound) VERY well trimmed Angus flat today at a good price.  Somehow, it just looks too little with not enough fat cap for a full smoke.  I was thinking of trying corned beef but can't come up with much in the way of corning recipes.  Checked susanminor and looked around here. 

Any links or recipes for corning would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Look at Hab's Pastrami...    The first 1/2 of the recipe creates (more or less) Corned Beef.

HawkeyeSmokes

Here's a link to one from Morton's. Corned Beef. I know people that have done this and liked it. I have not tried it myself.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 08, 2009, 04:42:17 PM

Look at Hab's Pastrami...    The first 1/2 of the recipe creates (more or less) Corned Beef.

Thanks squirt.  I saw that one but was unsure of how it might work for corned beef.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on December 08, 2009, 04:47:52 PM
Here's a link to one from Morton's. Corned Beef. I know people that have done this and liked it. I have not tried it myself.

Thanks Hawkeye.  I saw that one too.  Plus, I have some MTQ thanks to you  ;D  Somehow, I always figured corned beef was wet cured.  That's why I was looking around.  But, what do I know?
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Let us know how it turns out!

dbondy

Hi ArnieM, the rytec book has a recipie for corned beef. I don,t have time tonight to post it but will post first thing tomorow. Wish I had time but my little guy needs me to put him to bed. If I remember right it seemed very easy to do. :)

Ka Honu

Quote from: dbondy on December 08, 2009, 06:00:21 PM... but my little guy needs me to put him to bed. If I remember right it seemed very easy to do.

As I recall, it wasn't all that easy until I discovered that if I had a shot or two of scotch beforehand I could ignore the whining pretty easily.

ArnieM

Thanks DB.  That would be much appreciated.  I'd like to get it going tomorrow because I figure it will take some time.  There goes Sunday dinner.  Luckily, I also picked up a top round roast on sale.  That'll be for Sunday.

Ka Honu - Don't worry.  I'll send you some.  You send some of that scotch first.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on December 08, 2009, 07:53:11 PMKa Honu - Don't worry.  I'll send you some.  You send some of that scotch first. 

Thanks (as always) for the offer but I think I'll drink the whisky myself and leave the whining children to those of you who appreciate such things.

Habanero Smoker

Corned beef can be made either wet or dry cured (brined), it can also be made without a curing salt. Either of the brining steps for pastrami on the recipe site will work for making corned beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dbondy

Hi ArnieM, just found my Rytek book. The recipie calls for 25lbs so you mlight have to scale it down.
   ingredients for 25lbs
   (for pump and cover pickle)
   5 quarts ice water (38-40 degrres F)
   8 ozs. salt (piclkling salt or Kosher)
   3 ozs. Prague powder No.1
   3 ozs. powdered dextrose
                                                                     PROCESSING
  The briskets are to be spray-pumped to about 12-15% of their green weight.After pumping the briskets are packed in a vat, flesh side up, sprinkling with whole pickling spice. the next layer then is packed flesh side down, continuing to pack flesh to flesh, with the spices in between, until the vat is full. Place cover on the top and be sure all the meat is covered with the brine. Allow the briskets to cure in a 38-40 degreeF cooler for 3-4 days. Brisket then is ready to use.    Now this recipe is for 25lbs, so if you scale down the ingredients it should work fine. I,ve done one a few years back, and it came out very good. The pastrami recipe HABS recamened is also very good,I used it on full turkey breast and it came out excellant. Hope this helped and good luck, let us your results. :D

3rensho

Here's a link to a recipe I've used many, many times and really like it -

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Corned_Beef.pdf
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ArnieM

Thanks everyone for your time and replies.  I think this brisket will end up as pastrami.  The only recipe I have all of the ingredients for is Habs dry rub for pastrami from the recipe site.

I haven't been into curing so don't have most of the ingredients. 

The Angus flats are on sale this week for 2.49/pound.  I'll pick up another one, vac it and freeze it.  Meanwhile, I'll order up a suite of curing and pickling ingredients.  The next one will definitely be corned beef.  :)

Thanks again guys.
-- Arnie

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on December 09, 2009, 07:44:19 AM
Thanks everyone for your time and replies.  I think this brisket will end up as pastrami.  The only recipe I have all of the ingredients for is Habs dry rub for pastrami from the recipe site.

I haven't been into curing so don't have most of the ingredients. 

The Angus flats are on sale this week for 2.49/pound.  I'll pick up another one, vac it and freeze it.  Meanwhile, I'll order up a suite of curing and pickling ingredients.  The next one will definitely be corned beef.  :)

Thanks again guys.

I see a side trip off 84 to that store when I drive to NY on Thursday ;D