Smoker Project - Need help with Heating source

Started by mac_thorp, December 08, 2009, 04:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac_thorp

I recently converted an old refrigerator (1940s ColdSpot) into a smoker using a Bradley Smoke Generator and could not be more excited about enjoying good smoked meat without having to wait in crazy line here in San Diego, CA.

Aside from the Bradley Smoker, I have made 4 racks that measure 15"X24" with 9" between each rack, and using two 1000W hotplates as my heating source.  It is working great and I have been able to enjoy cooking great food and watch my neighbors fill their stomachs with all of my experiments.  I cannot really complain but there is room for improvement in my project.

Initially when I was testing it out I was able to get it up to 230 and hold fairly easy.  I did this for an entire week while I was waiting for my last piece for the door insert to come in.  When the day finally came to smoke some actual food I was unable to get it up past 200 so I added an additional 1000W hotplate and was able to get it up around 230.  However that is without food in it.  Once I add a couple pork shoulders, some ribs and a brisket it holds at 190.  I keep looking at hotplates that offer more wattage but have not been lucky so far.  The 40 degree difference is making my cook times closer to 2 hours per pound for shoulders and brisket.  Any ideas, once I figure out how to put pictures up I would be happy to.

ronbeaux

How long did you wait for the temp to climb after you put the meat in??
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ArnieM

Hi mac and welcome.  I love the DIY ingenuity of this place.  :)

Do you have a vent on top, preferably adjustable?  Without proper venting moisture will stay in the box and keep things cooler.

That fridge should probably be in the Smithsonian  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

If you have access to an Academy they have a 1500 watt element and I have seen or read where someone used an element out of a stove but you would have to convert to 240.

NePaSmoKer

mac

Your big smoker is like a Bradley. The more you put in it the longer its going to take to get to temp. When i fire up my smokehouse i pre heat it to 180* while the items i am going to smoke are at room temp. If you dont pre heat and add cold food it will take some time to temp up.

Do you have vents for air flow?

You need a lower vent for draw and a dampered vent on top.  Low and slow for good "Q"  180 to 225*

mac_thorp

That was the idea behind me ordering the Bradley Smoker once I had picked out the body for the smoker.  All three times I have used it since completion I have gotten it up to between 180-200 before placing the meat in.  The meat is usually right around 40 degrees by the time I trim it and prep it for cooking.

I do have a stack for it at the top and I can control the flow out of it.  I also placed an 'intake' at the base for air to flow in and out the top.  I even placed the stack down about 6 inches so the heat could build up.  I can control the air flow at all the vents.  Door is sealed with a ceramic rope and it does not allow any smoke out.  The seal is good, promise.  The walls are insulated (it was a refrigerator) and 2 1/2 inches thick so it holds heat like crazy.  I have a feeling it is my heat source that is just not cranking out enough heat for when I want to cook at a higher temp. 

Can anyone tell me how to post pics, I would love to show it off.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: mac_thorp on December 08, 2009, 06:15:57 PM
That was the idea behind me ordering the Bradley Smoker once I had picked out the body for the smoker.  All three times I have used it since completion I have gotten it up to between 180-200 before placing the meat in.  The meat is usually right around 40 degrees by the time I trim it and prep it for cooking.

I do have a stack for it at the top and I can control the flow out of it.  I also placed an 'intake' at the base for air to flow in and out the top.  I even placed the stack down about 6 inches so the heat could build up.  I can control the air flow at all the vents.  Door is sealed with a ceramic rope and it does not allow any smoke out.  The seal is good, promise.  The walls are insulated (it was a refrigerator) and 2 1/2 inches thick so it holds heat like crazy.  I have a feeling it is my heat source that is just not cranking out enough heat for when I want to cook at a higher temp. 

Can anyone tell me how to post pics, I would love to show it off.

Here's the link to posting pics Mac. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11
HawkeyeSmokes

mac_thorp

Arnie - Careful what you say about the old box.  When I first brought it home I had to hurry and start taking parts out before my wife took it away from me.  She really wanted to restore it to it's original glory.  By the time I am done it will look pretty close to original from the outside.  I do enjoy it, more than I should probably.  The hobby is quickly taking up all of my free time on the weekends.

HawkeyeSmokes

One thing that could be causing you a problem Mac, are you running those 2 hot plates off of the same circuit? The 2 combined draw about 16.6 amps which is overloading a 15 amp circuit. Plus if extension cords are added in, that makes it even worse because of the increased resistance. That would cause a decrease in the heat output from the hot plates. If the Bradley SG is on it to, then you are close to 18 amps. Just a couple of ideas.
HawkeyeSmokes

lumpy

Try using some bricks in the oven. They will hold and keep heat.

Lumpy

mac_thorp

Hawkeye - I was thinking the same thing so I asked my neighbor to plug an extension cord over to my porch and there was a slight increase.  I can get it up to 250 when it is empty but I guess I am just looking for a little more power to crank it up when I first put the meat in so it doesn't keep the meat in the danger zone for so long.

I think the fact I am trying to run all three items is the root of the cause, reason why I am looking for a more powerful hotplate or element to replace the 2.

classicrockgriller

mac, I would love to see it too.  I have a fridge make over in Jan and I am always looking for more better.

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on December 08, 2009, 06:32:52 PM
One thing that could be causing you a problem Mac, are you running those 2 hot plates off of the same circuit? The 2 combined draw about 16.6 amps which is overloading a 15 amp circuit. Plus if extension cords are added in, that makes it even worse because of the increased resistance. That would cause a decrease in the heat output from the hot plates. If the Bradley SG is on it to, then you are close to 18 amps. Just a couple of ideas.

HES, great observation.

mac_thorp

Here she is: I have affectionately named her the "Swine Cellar"

Before I starting working on the inside, still hoping to get a solid year this was built

After I pulled the freezer out, knew the door panel was going to have to go since it was made of some kind of plastic material.  The inside was enameled steel.

My Bradley SG had come in so I installed it and the vents, I have since placed butterfly valves in the vents to control airflow

Replaced the pan to catch the bisquettes and make room for the hotplate.  I used ceramic rope for the new seal since I had to take the old one off and replace the door panel

Here she is just last weekend with 2 pork shoulders, 2 racks of ribs, and a brisket.  Neighbors keep bringing me stuff to smoke, now if I could just get them to order the bisquettes.

Future plans are to paint the outside the same turquoise blue the inside was and I will probably put an old bread box over the stack so it is not so obvious.  I cannot complain since it has cooked everything I have put in it.  Just a little slower than I would like.  Hope you enjoy.  Please let me know if there is somewhere I can find a stronger hotplate online.

classicrockgriller

Now I don't know, but would it be better if your vent tube was flush with your ceiling of your smoker?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: mac_thorp on December 08, 2009, 06:38:31 PM
Hawkeye - I was thinking the same thing so I asked my neighbor to plug an extension cord over to my porch and there was a slight increase.  I can get it up to 250 when it is empty but I guess I am just looking for a little more power to crank it up when I first put the meat in so it doesn't keep the meat in the danger zone for so long.

I think the fact I am trying to run all three items is the root of the cause, reason why I am looking for a more powerful hotplate or element to replace the 2.

I don't think going to 1 larger hot plate will work, unless you can run it on 220V. If you have that option there are a lot of commercial hot plates that should work. But the down side is, they are pricey. Using a gas burner might be an option?

CRG,

I don't know much, but electricity, I do ok. Still alive after all these years!  :D I do twitch all the time though.  ???
HawkeyeSmokes