Smoker Project - Need help with Heating source

Started by mac_thorp, December 08, 2009, 04:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac_thorp

CRG - Thanks for the look into what I will not ever be able to do..at least for another 10 years or so.  I don't want anyone to take me as being argumentative about changes to my baby.  I am proud of it and will improve on it as time goes.  My biggest worry is I am going to tackle something big and spend my entire weekend and have to call in sick waiting for a 16 pound brisket to give up the ghost. 

The smokehouse is awesome by the way, could not imagine the damage I could do here in San Diego with one of those bad boys in my backyard.  I already get complaints about the smoke from my smoker.  They are vegetarians, I find excuses to put something in it as often as I can. 

classicrockgriller

Didn't post it for you to change, just wanted you to look and see if anything was of intrest as to how they did theirs.

Have you thought about a propane smoke and using a secondary electric heat element?

mac_thorp

Right now I do have two hotplates in it but after some help here it looks like it isn't doing me any good since the amperage is too high for my outlet.  My next step is going to be looking into a higher watt hotplate using 220v instead of 110v.

I am trying to stay away from open flame as much as possible for safety reasons.  I was thinking about it (propane) initially but with the wild fires we have going on here on a regular basis and the proximity to the house I thought it best to stick with electric.  I don't have to pay an electric bill so in essence it is the cheapest option, got to love free electricity.

classicrockgriller

free elec is kewl

mine runs about $500 a month.

Like i said earlier and I will look for that post... someone use the heating element out of an oven.

If that don't do it, nothing will

Mr walleye will look at this tomorrow and laugh at me and probably give you a simple solution.

Good luck and Good smoke.

mac_thorp

Goodnight all, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the feedback.  So many questions were answered here tonight, I am excited and when I told my wife about it she just rolled her eyes.  See you all again soon.

Quarlow

Yeah the electric should be free in California. They buy it from B.C. and then don't pay us for it. Cheap at twice the price.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on December 08, 2009, 06:32:52 PM
One thing that could be causing you a problem Mac, are you running those 2 hot plates off of the same circuit? The 2 combined draw about 16.6 amps which is overloading a 15 amp circuit. Plus if extension cords are added in, that makes it even worse because of the increased resistance. That would cause a decrease in the heat output from the hot plates. If the Bradley SG is on it to, then you are close to 18 amps. Just a couple of ideas.

Mac_Thorp

It looks like a fine project you have going there.  ;)

Here is a link to mine that I built just for reference... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg82164#msg82164

I would have to agree with HawkeyeSmokes. I'm assuming you are running 1 extention cord to the smoker and plugging in both 1000 watt hot plates and the smoke generator into it. First off the one circuit is probably a 15 amp circuit and this is too much for it. Each hot plate is about 8.5 amps and the smoke generator is around 2 or 3 amps for a total of 19 or 20 amps. In addition, if you are using an extention cord this will compound the problem as HS pointed out.

The first thing I would try is to supply power from 2 separate circuits, 1 to the first hot plate and 1 to the other hot plate and the smoke generator. I would also use good quality extention cords and as short as possible. With the combined 2000 watts you should be able to heat that fridge up fairly well depending on ambient temps of course (-46 with wind chill where I live right now).

By doing this your elements should heat up red hot or close to it. If they don't I would suspect what has happened is the rheostat control (small dial) on the hot plates may have got cooked. The hot plates aren't really designed to be "in" the heated environment and the rheostat could fail. If this is the case you could rewire them direct (bypass the rheostat) but you would want to have some method of controlling them such as a PID or another type of controller.

Just my 2 cents....  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KevinG

I want to get on that free electricity plan. Where do I sign, and what's the catch?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

mac_thorp

KevinG - All you have to do is go talk to your local US military recruiter.  Then when they station you on a base you can move into military housing and BAM, free electric, water, maintenance, and 6-8 month deployments away from family and friends.

Walleye - I agree with just about everything you have said.  I will have to get a shorter extension cord and try to use two different outlets.  My next try will be using a 1500W hotplate to replace the two and I think I will be able to keep it in the range I want. 

I just brought a brisket over to my friends dinner tonight, I smoked it Saturday just for this occasion.  Nothing but smiles and requests for more.  Thank you all for the advice.  I will be doing more smoking and tinkering with my creation, looking forward to swapping stories and ideas with you all.

classicrockgriller

mac, you do have a nice smoker and when I covert my fridge (unless I can find a proofer) I will be looking for input from you.

keep that thing smoking!