Freezing Cheese

Started by bigcatdaddy, December 09, 2009, 12:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

Started cold smoking cheese a couple of months ago and had some great results.  Now every time I got to the store I'm buying a lot of cheese.  I was wondering if anybody has smoked cheese and then threw it in the freezer for very long.  I'd like to smoke up a bunch and just have it in the freezer so when I get hungry for some I can just thaw it out.  Going to be in the single digits tonight and I'm think about doing another batch.

BCD

Quarlow

Ok this is a good question and I will be interested in the answers too. I have heard you can freeze cheese but I always figured it would turn gritty.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

manxman

I have tried freezing smoked cheese and whilst it doesn't seem to alter the flavour it does seem to alter the texture and makes it more crumbly. Gave up doing it as I have kept vacuum packed smoked cheese in the fridge for a several months without a problem in any case.
Manxman

KyNola

This is a good question that gets asked periodically.  If I remember correctly the consensus is freezing bricks of cheese is not necessarily harmful to the cheese but may have a tendency to make it more crumbly.  

Cheese that has been smoked and kept wrapped or vac sealed airtight will keep in the frig for months and months.

Some of the more experienced cheese smokers will be along with additional info.

KyNola

Sorry Manx, your post hit just before mine was about to.

pensrock

Any kind of cheese I have tried freezing dries out and crumbles. I can't say this is true for all cheeses but them common ones I do do not do well. Vac pack it and put it in the fridge, it will last for months.

KyNola

Pensrock is the expert on smoked cheese here guys.

KyNola

Wildcat

I have not smoked cheese yet, but will very soon. Cheese will keep for a very long time especially if vac sealed. Even then, if it is hard cheese and it turns green (mold), just cut away the green.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

bigcatdaddy

Thanks guys!!!!!  In the fridge it will stay!

BCD

FLBentRider

I've got vac sealed cheese in the fridge from the last time I cold smoked - January - and it is still good.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigcatdaddy

Pachanga

I just purchased some extra sharp cheddar with a date of August 10, 2010.  I have had good luck vacuum packing and refrigerating cheeses for extended periods.  This only applies to vacuum packed.  Otherwise I would freeze appropriate cheeses.

I have good luck vacuum packing and freezing hard and semihard cheeses.  Soft cheeses do not do well and change texture.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

seemore

just ate last dec cheese vac sealed in fridge still great
seemore...........

HawkeyeSmokes

I tried freezing small pieces of cheese many years ago to see if it works. Didn't like the texture when thawed so I just vac seal any I want to save and it lasts a long time.
HawkeyeSmokes

bigcatdaddy

With all the cheese I've been buying......I might have to but another fridge and a cow!! :-\

kevinconner75

Yes keeping cheese in the freezer for long time makes them great.
Hi, this is Kasper, and I have Been working in the credit card processing job for about 12 years.