Beef Tongue - Smoked

Started by Habanero Smoker, December 09, 2009, 02:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Hi Manxman;

If some of this is unclear let me know. I have a cold, and my thoughts are a little cloudy. I found some of my notes and realized that I didn't follow Hugh's recipe to the letter. I made an error converting the weight of the salt, and came up with one pound, which is more then I use in a brine so it seem right. I didn't that when I soaked for 24 hours after brining. So you may want to keep that in mind. I hope this helps.

Beef Tongue

It is easy to tell which one have the curing salt in the brine.

Selecting and Cleaning:
I've read the smaller tongues are considered better, because they are less tough and more favorable. I had one large and one small tongue, and did not notice much difference in texture, but they were prepared differently. I was fortunate enough to get tongues with the cartilage already trimmed out. If your tongue has any cartilage, it is best to trim that out.

Using a stiff vegetable brush, wash tongue in sink under running water, using the brush to scrub the tongue. Once cleaned, place it in a large container, cover with water and soak for three hours, changing the water at least once, or more if the water continues to cloud up. Remove from water, pat dry and place into the prepared brine. Place a plate on top to keep the tongue fully submerged.

Brine
5 qt. Water (5 liters)
1 lb. Demerara or light brown sugar (500g)
1 lb. Coarse sea salt (454g, original recipe had 1.5kg)
1 tsp. Black peppercorns
1 tsp. Juniper berries
4 Bay leaves
1 Sprig of thyme

*3 oz. Pink salt; (instatcure #1, Prague powder #1) optional.
Origingal recipe called for 50g Saltpeter as optional.

Place all ingredients except the cure in a non-reactive pot. Place on burner at high heat, stirring until all salt and sugar is dissolved. Continue to boil for about 2 minutes. Allow to cool to 40°F; add cure - stir until completely disolved, and place prepared tongue into brine.
   Or boil ingredients in 3 quarts of water, and then cool finish mixture with enough ice to bring it up to 5 quarts.

Refrigerate and brine for five days, stirring brine and turning the tongue over once a day. After five days, remove from brine and rinse under cold water to remove any seasonings that are clinging to the meat. Soak for three hours, changing the water once (the River Cottage Book recommend soaking for 24 hour, but I feel that removed too much of the flavoring).

Tongues pictured after being taken for brines. The one on the left is cured, the one on the right is the one that was parboiled then skinned.

A Rub for Beef: (Yes! That includes the tongue) optional.
2 Tbsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. of brown sugar
2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp. of onion powder
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
   (This was enough for both tongues.)

Crush the thyme leaves in the palm of your hand; add it to the rest of the ingredients and mix well. If you don't like that much pepper you can reduce it to your taste. To kick it up a bit, you can add 1/4 - 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.

Preparation:
Tongue #1; Removing the skin prior to smoking:
In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Make sure the pot is large enough to hold enough water to cover the tongue. Once water is at a rolling boil, add tongue and parboil for 20 minutes. Remove from boiling water and immediately place it in ice water. When the tongue has cool enough to handle remove it from the water and using a sharp knife peel the skin off. Wrap and refrigerate until ready to smoke. Prior to smoking let it sit at room temperature for an hour.

Rub; Optional:Because the tongue was parboiled, you need to either coat the tongue with oil or make a paste; so the seasoning will stick to the tongue. I made a paste. You can make a paste out of the rub by adding oil to about two tablespoons of rub until you get the consistency you want. Apply the paste to all areas of the tongue. I accidently grabbed peanut oil, and that worked out well.

Tongue #2; Skin Left On:

Just pat dry and air dry 2 hours prior to smoking.

Rub; Optional:
Rub tongue with oil, and apply rub.

Smoking:
Preheat the smoker to 200°F. Place tongues in smoker, and apply 4 hours of smoke. I recommend a strong smoke like hickory. After applying smoke, continue to cook until they reach an internal temperature of 175°F.
   You can only use the fork test on the skinned tongue. You should be able to insert the fork in the thickest part and remove it without resistance. Tongues with skin, you will get a false reading do to the skin being so tough. I think if you should be able to use the fork test on the wide open end of the tongue.
I can't locate all my notes, but I believe the total time was 8 hours.

Tongues with rub ready for smoker.

Remove from smoker, tent it with foil and allow to rest for 30 minutes. You can server it at that time or refrigerate and serve cold. I haven't tried reheating them yet, but I don't forsee any problem with that. They are well marbled, at least at the thick end.

Tongues removed from smoker.

This is the tongue that was smoked with the skin on. The picture was taken after the skin was removed.

Horse Radish Sauce Recipe: (for cold tongue)
Horseradish Sauce:
*4 Tbsp prepared horseradish
**8 ounces sour cream drained
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt
Dash hot sauce
   *Prepared horseradish varies in pungency. Start with 3 tablespoons and adjust from there. You may find you 4 tablespoons is not enough.
   **Or 4 ounces sour cream drained and 4 ounces of mayonnaise.

Spoon the sour cream into a bowl lined with a few layers of cheese cloth. Tie up the corners of the cloth to make a bag and hang it over the sink to drain. If you want to collect the whey, place a bowl underneath. Let it drain until it reaches your preferred consistency.

After the sour cream has been drained; starting with 3 tablespoons of horseradish, mix the other ingredients into the sour cream. Adjust the horseradish to your likening. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before using. This sauce is good for sandwiches, or just topping the sliced tongue, served alone or on crackers.

While looking for smoked tongue recipes I learned that tongue is widely used in Mexican cuisine, as the meat filling for tacos and burritos.

Also I found this Asian style tongue marinade on line. I am going to make it into a dipping sauce to serve with tongue either hot or cold. I'm thinking of using sesame seed oil, adding brown sugar; reduce the sauce on med-high heat to thicken it. After I've reduced it I'll add the onion and chili pepper (Serrano), lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes, then add sesame seeds.

Asian Style Marinade (enough for half a tongue)
1/3 cup mirin
1/3 cup dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon oil
spring onion , chopped
small red chillis (a.k.a. cili padi) , chopped

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MAK DADDY

That is just wrong although you did spice it up I still could not eat it!
WWW.MAKGRILLS.COM
NOW YOU'RE SMOKIN'

car54

Hs,

How was the tongue?
I have had it from  Mexican at work and it had a very interesting but not bad texture. I believe that it was boiled.

Brad

KevinG

Quote from: MAK DADDY on December 09, 2009, 04:47:27 PM

Ditto
<-------
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Pachanga

Habs,

Nice writeup. 

I have made tacos de lengua several times using a slow cooked braising and stewed method, but never smoked one.  Once you get over the look of a whole tongue and think of it as another cut of beef, it is a nice culinary experience.  I generally do not tell guests what they have eaten, even after the meal.  I do not reveal the cow's head when I make true cheek meat barbacoa either.

Are you going to post this on the recipe site?

I would be interested in your thoughts on tenderness and texture of the smoked tongue after you serve it up.

You are right that this is very common in Taquerias that are frequented by immigrants in this part of the world.  If the spoken language in the Taqueria is Spanish, you can order tongue of some sort.  Most of the time it is braised or stewed with spices, onions, and peppers in a thin gravy. Carne (meat) Guisada (stewed) is the common term.  You never know which meat unless specified and usually you do not want to know.  It is served with fresh tortillas, fresh jalapenos, salsa and frijoles.  A rolled up tortilla is used as a pushing, sopping tool and not as a container or taco shell but it can be a messy taco as well.

By the way, what was the wife’s reaction?

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: KevinG on December 09, 2009, 05:29:51 PM

Ditto
<-------

What? You guys afraid it will taste you back?  :D Tongue is good eats.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Got that straight. I've french kissed many women, but I draw the line at cows.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ronbeaux

I'd eat it! Tacos Panchos at the local Mexican joint. Really good. You get your choice.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Habanero Smoker

I'm amended the recipe in the brine section. I forgot to mention that my tongue was already trimmed of cartilage, and not to add the curing salt until the brine had cooled

Hi Brad;

My mother use to braise tongue when I was a kid, the cover it with this awful raisin sauce. This tongue is really good. I've still have a cold, so my taste buds can be off, but at this time I would have liked more smoke flavor.  I forgot how rich it was. It is great warm, and it also makes great cold sandwiches. I'm beginning to see cow's tongue in more supper markets. So I will be experimenting some more with them, and probably go without the rub next time; though the peanut oil was a pleasant surprise.

Hi Pachanga;

I want to experiment a little, before I write it up for the recipe site. To see what different texture will be at different temperatures. I would like to strip the skin while they are uncooked then smoke them. I've tried but I'm taking too much meat off with the skin. Here is a link to a YouTube video. I've watched it several time, and I'm still amazed how easily he peels the skin off. Also the final shape, and the size insures every part will cook evenly.
How Peel a Cow Tongue

The texture had a little tug to it. That is the way I like my meat. I don't care for the fall apart texture. I haven't cut into the thin end. I may do that today to see how that came out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

That what people use to say when I first posted my pickled egg recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Pachanga

Habs,

I look forward to your final recipe.  I know it will be tested and ready to follow with confidence.

Pachanga

3rensho

HS that looks great!  Smoked tongue and blood sausage is one of my wife's favorite cold cuts for breakfast.  I eat it too f it's sliced thin.  Beef and lamb tongues are readily available here and commonly eaten, braised, corned or smoked.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

manxman

Habs, that looks fantastic and a recipe that HFW himself would be proud of! For anyone that has never tried tongue you don't know what you are missing!  ;) :D

I have my order in for a couple of cow's tongues but I may not get them until after Christmas now.

Sorry I missed this post first time around, I have been under the weather a bit myself for a couple of days and food was the last thing on my mind!  :(

Definitely one for the recipe site.
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on December 10, 2009, 04:12:40 AM
Sorry I missed this post first time around, I have been under the weather a bit myself for a couple of days and food was the last thing on my mind!  :(

I definitely know that feeling. :(

Finally there is something in one of my stores you are having a problem getting.:) I still haven't found a source for duck breast, so I may have to purchase a few whole ducks.

Quote from: 3rensho on December 10, 2009, 03:23:45 AM
HS that looks great!  Smoked tongue and blood sausage is one of my wife's favorite cold cuts for breakfast.  I eat it too f it's sliced thin.  Beef and lamb tongues are readily available here and commonly eaten, braised, corned or smoked.

Thanks. That is the way I like tongue; sliced thin and eaten cold. If you haven't tried Horseradish Sauce, you should give it a try. I'm hoping the Asian sauce will go with the tongue also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteFinally there is something in one of my stores you are having a problem getting

Think I might have to buy mirin on line, never seen it in the shops around here!
Manxman