MOJO CRIOLLO BONELESS PORK BUTT

Started by classicrockgriller, December 09, 2009, 06:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

After I cut the strings and took out the bay leaves this is what that darling looked like.

squirtthecat

That looks just plain awful, CRG...    Send it up here and I will dispose of it properly.

classicrockgriller

The mayan sweet onions had all but dissolved. The butt was super juicy and no pullin to it.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

I have cooked probably 10 to 12 butts, but none have had the house smell as good as this one did.

I'm doing this again with maybe some different stuff tossed in the roll up.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm listening.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 10, 2009, 05:43:10 PM
I have cooked probably 10 to 12 butts, but none have had the house smell as good as this one did.

I'm doing this again with maybe some different stuff tossed in the roll up.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm listening.

It looks great CRG. The only thing I might suggest, try ground bay leaves. That way you don't have to remove when done. Butt, I would eat that bad boy you cooked just the way it is.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

My son told me it was his favorite. He sat there and ate the right side of the butt after I unrolled it.

Look at the pic and on the right side all the meat exposed. Finally told him let me take a pic.

While I was doing that he toasted 4 pieces of bread and made two sammies while I was pullin it.

ronbeaux

Looks like it turned out great! Good thing you had the camera ready! Them 'son's' can do some serious eating!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

He told me him and 3 friends would put that thing away!

Quarlow

Somehow I think he was joking about the 3 friends.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

CRG, You absolutely just killed that thing, knocked it out of the park, put your foot in it and every other OMG phrase I cannot come up with at the moment.

It looks incredible.  You ARE the man!

KyNola

classicrockgriller

It was tough sittin at the computer, drinking many adult beverages, sleeping, going to the store. ;D ;D

I really didn't know what to expect so I am excited it tasted like it did, plus the process has given me another idea that maybe I will do next week.

KyNola

Pachanga

CRG,

Very nice looking smoke.  I have a few questions and a comment.

The V vent and drip tray on my six rack digital has very tight vents (came that way but I notice a lot of new trays with wider vents).  As you mentioned, I use a loose foil to semi block the back half of the vents to force heat forward and even out the temperature. 

I like your idea of closing the back vents a little and opening the front vents.  Do you have that all worked out to your satisfaction yet?  If so, could you expound on your vent sizes?  How do you like this compared to the loose foil since you have used both?  I would like to use your experience and try to modify my tray.

It sounds like you have a very close temperature range between the Bradley readout and the Maverick.  I notice the Maverick probe in the front in some of the photos.  Was your Maverick probe in the back or front when you recorded these close temperatures?

I like your spice selection.  I still have not used the Cardamom but will in the near future.  I too enjoy rub experiments even though I don't slap my meat around as much as you (one day a government agency is going to show up at your house and remove your meat to a foster home).  Bay leaves are one of my favorite and one of the underused spices in Q'ing.  I grind my leaves to a fine powder (as HawkeyeSmokes suggests) in a spice or coffee grinder.  They do not grind well unless you throw some peppercorns in with them. 

I have not used the Goya Mojo Criollo but experience says that Goya normally produces fine products.  I know you have a propensity to not smoke the same way twice.  Is this good enough that you will you be using this again?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Good luck and more mojo to you,

Pachanga

ArnieM

That's quite a saga CRG.  Boy, that thing looks (looked) good.  Nice butchering job too.

Now, please set the date on your picture capturing device.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.