Old Bay Butt

Started by FLBentRider, December 10, 2009, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

All this talk (and those chips) has got me thinking...

Anyone ever use Old bay or crab seasoning for a butt rub ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Now that would be interesting.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

hal4uk

I've added some (Old Bay) to the rub - but I'm thinking it would be a bit much by itself.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Interesting concept FLBR.  On a butt with as much meat mass as a butt has it probably wouldn't be all that overpowering but at first thought....WOW!

You gonna try it?  I would love to get your report on it.

KyNola

ArnieM

You might try the rub (see jar below) even though it's specified for fish.  It's described as a "Coarse blend of OLD BAY with a touch of brown sugar".

The ingredients are listed as:  Spices and herbs (including black pepper and red pepper, salt, brown sugar and paprika).
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

I'll look for that!

I _have_ used Old bay on Chicken.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

If it worked on Chicken, then it should work on your BUTT!

ArnieM

The Rub says to use 1 TBSP per pound of seafood.  Based on that, I wouldn't think it would be too strong for a pork butt.  You can see my seasoning is well used but I haven't tried the rub yet. 

I have some HUGE sea scallops defrosting for dinner tonight.  I was thinking of giving them a roll in the rub and then a pan sear.  It's currently 24*F and real windy out there.  My plastic utility cabinet for the OBS blew over again.  No outdoor cooking tonight.  :-X
-- Arnie

OU812

Old Bay on a Butt, now that does sound like some thing worth a try.

I say go for it ! Let us know how you think it works.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on December 11, 2009, 09:39:18 AM

FLBR - If you try it and it works well, send your recipe to the Old Bay people.  Maybe you'll be (more) famous and they'll show a port butt on the label.  8)
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

Quote from: ArnieM on December 11, 2009, 09:42:35 AM
Quote from: OU812 on December 11, 2009, 09:39:18 AM

FLBR - If you try it and it works well, send your recipe to the Old Bay people.  Maybe you'll be (more) famous and they'll show a port butt on the label.  8)

I plan on it - "but" my schedule is pretty crazy over the next couple of weeks so I don't know when I will get a chance.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

A friend of mine uses Old Bay on ribs and likes it a lot.  It's okay as far as I'm concerned but I prefer other treatments (although a bit of Old Bay in burgers is excellent).

Quarlow

Quote from: ArnieM on December 11, 2009, 09:11:35 AM

I have some HUGE sea scallops defrosting for dinner tonight.  I was thinking of giving them a roll in the rub and then a pan sear. 
Arnie try putting some on just one piece and cook that first. They cook fast and it would be ashame to put it on all of them and then find you don't like it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Quote from: Quarlow on December 11, 2009, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: ArnieM on December 11, 2009, 09:11:35 AM

I have some HUGE sea scallops defrosting for dinner tonight.  I was thinking of giving them a roll in the rub and then a pan sear. 
Arnie try putting some on just one piece and cook that first. They cook fast and it would be ashame to put it on all of them and then find you don't like it.

Thanks Q, that's good advice.  If it isn't too good, I'll flatten it out, wrap it in plastic, put it an envelope and send it to Ka Honu for evaluation  ;D

I'll try to take a few pics if I'm still awake while I'm cookin' 'em.
-- Arnie