water pan

Started by Harpo, March 17, 2005, 03:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Hello Smokers
I was wondering if any of you use a liquid other than water in your pan. I used to do some hot smoking in a brinkman until my BS, and I used to use apple juice, wine and beer, ( what a waste of a good product), any how I never seen anybody mention that on here, but I am newbie to this site, also I line my water pan with foil, no mess to clean just dump and crump and into the can.
Look forward as always of hearing your comments.
Harpo

whitetailfan

Hi Harpo,
No just H2O for this guy.  I think any other product would be a waste as well.  Good idea on the foil to wrap the dispensed pucks - I have no back fence neighbours, I back onto a grass strip and a throughfare, so my pucks get a friendly flip over the fence - no cleanup either[;)][:D]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

Harpo,

The Bradley is somewhat the same but different.  You will find you will not need extra sream/moisture and or flavoring.  To me the Brinkman style type cookers use and apply the moisture differently than a BS.  Like the water is below the heat sorce and not above.  I do think you will not be able to tell the differance on any flavor you might put in the water dish in a typical smoke.  BUT I AM VERY  SURE that others will chime in and have experiance good results in what you have sugested.  Just my thoughts on a day I wish I was doing something else.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Harpo

Thanks for the comeback WTF and Mallard,
I never thought about the pan being below the heat source and not getting hot enough. Would be a waste of product. (beer) See I told you I was new to this. And you are right the BS is unique and the times I have used it the product being smoked was great. Getting ready to 5lb of Deer slim Jims.
Again my thanks and keep up the good work.
Harpo

Oldman

I have added a small flat pan with side below my meat and above the heat at times i.e. apple juice or beer etc..

Opps below my meat but above the heat.... here comes Chez again [:D]

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bsolomon

Olds,

You can't possibly expect Chez not to comment on that beauty...  He could knock that one out of the park with a 10' pole (oh, darn it, here we go again!)

On a more serious note.  I concur that you probably won't see much advantage to anything but water in the bowl.  Brinkman Water Smokers and such rely on the steam created by the boiling liquid to help moderate temperature gradients in the cabinet and in effect cook the food.  The Bradley relies on the water bowl to extinguish the bisquettes, but doesn't rely on steaming as a source of energy for the cooking process.  The liquid in the bowl will likely get hot enough to boil off, but that limited amount of steam is not going to contribute too much to the overall flavoring of the finished product.

gotbbq

Harpo-

Also, if any of the liquid spills, its 3 mile island all over again.  I use a sop or mop in a spray bottle, one quick open, spritz, close - seems to work well for me.[^][^][^]

gotbbq

Chez Bubba

[:D][:D][:D]

And bsolomon is exactly right IMO.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

I might respectfully disagree with my Forum brethren when it comes to using beer or apple juice in the bowl while doing poultry.  I've used apple juice with a quartered onion in the bowl while doing turkey at temps above 220F and I think it does make a big difference. With other meats, though, I don't think it would matter.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I might respectfully disagree with my Forum brethren <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Seeing how we are related now, can I get 50 bucks and the keys to your car tonight? [:D]

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Growler

Howdie fello smokers, Something I've been doing the past few years is when I soak my wood chips/chunks in water, usually a 5-gallon pail over night, or a couple of days, I'll use that water in the water pan. It seems to help with both the flavor, and the color of the food. I've tried everything else, fruit, liquid ect., and this far outdoes them, and I have'nt had any complaints either!! Try it once, you might like it!! Growler

jaeger

Growler,
Welcome to the forum. In response to your suggestion, everyone here smokes their wood dry.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">