That Wascuwy Wabbit

Started by KevinG, December 11, 2009, 08:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Elmer Fudd would've been proud. I didn't let Bugs get away. So I decided I want to smoke my recently acquired rabbit. I found a recipe from Smoke & Spice and modified it slightly.

I started off by defrosting in the fridge overnight in a salt water solution with some lemon juice squeezed in.

For the dry rub mix I'm going with the following:
1/2 Tablespoon of Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
3/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon Colemans Mustard

For the Wet rub
1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 Tablespoon Creole Mustard

Here's all the spices

I started by mixing the wet rub ingredients and slathering it all over the rabbit, inside and out. I then sprinkled the mixed dry ingredients all over, inside and out. I've got it sitting in the fridge now, and it won't be ready to start smoking for another couple of hours. "It's shake and bake, and I helped!" ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Ka Honu

Quote from: KevinG on December 11, 2009, 08:52:31 AM

If I put something like that in the fridge, everyone in the neighborhood would start checking to see if their cats and small dogs were still home.

OU812

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 11, 2009, 09:46:57 AM
Waiting to see the results!

Me to, Me to.

I lkies rabbit, mainly pan fried but have done it with shake and bake also.

KevinG

Cats taste too much like fish, and dogs I'll leave for the Koreans.  :P Nope, couldn't even think of eating either. But it is funny, I had to take some Vietnamese people out to lunch for work one time. They all wanted to go to a Vietnamese restaurant. The menu was not in English, so they had to translate. They told me what to order - "Here just get this". After the meal came they all started laughing. I don't know to this day what it was, but it was very spicy. I suspect some dog variety, but can't be sure. They had to order me some weird type ice cream to quench the heat.

KevinG

Quote from: OU812 on December 11, 2009, 09:52:36 AM
Quote from: ronbeaux on December 11, 2009, 09:46:57 AM
Waiting to see the results!

Me to, Me to.

I lkies rabbit, mainly pan fried but have done it with shake and bake also.

Got my fingers crossed on this one. Last one I tried on the grill turned into a potato chip. Wasn't bad, just too crunchy. I'm hoping the technique I'm going to try and the smoker will eliminate that.

KevinG

Just pulled the rabbit out of the fridge, and have him sitting out to warm up a little (about 20 minutes). Started up the Bradley and will let it get up to 200 degrees, also have 6 Jim Beam pucks loaded and waiting.

ArnieM

Let us know how it comes out Kevin.  I always try to keep an open mind.

When I was a kid, some of us (including Abe Lincoln) went out hunting tree rats.  I won't get graphic on the details.  Anyway, we'd dress 'em up and either pan fry or stew 'em.  We thought they were pretty good "at the time".  However, looking back, ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

Did the same with crawdads Arnie, still love em today!

OK, so here's what I suspect is going to save me from potato chipped rabbit. I've wrapped the rabbit in dampened cheese cloth to help keep the moisture in.

I loaded the rabbit in the Bradley with a pan full of water, and only opened the vent about 1/2 way.

classicrockgriller

ArnieM

My only comment at this point is that your Bradley looks "too clean".  You have to get more hours on it.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Yeah, after the rabbit, load 2 pork butts in it for a 20 hour smoke.   That'll get rid of that 'shiny' look.

Hopefull Romantic

Looking forward for the results

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KevinG

I know, I know. I keep getting chicken splatter every time I cook em. Seems every time I want to post images, I've just cleaned up a chicken mess!

Well about 1/2 way through I suspect, IT is at 119, and smoke is billowing. I opened it up to re-moisten the rabbit with some warm water. Word of caution - don't try to put back the fallen Maverick Oven Temp Probe, it's hot!

KevinG

Now I've pulled the cheesecloth off, and turned up the temp to 220. Looking for an internal peak of 145, the current IT is 124.