SMOKFOR at BriskCon 1, Launch in T -11. Question...

Started by Old_Sarge, December 11, 2009, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_Sarge

Quote from: Pachanga on December 12, 2009, 01:42:57 PM
Old Sarge,

QuoteI am going to try something a little weird...I saved all the fat trimmings and soaked them overnight in apple juice/vinegar. I'm going to put them on the shelf above the brisket and let it drizzle suet raindrops on the meat. I can always pull 'em if it looks like the good idea fairy was full of crap after all...

I do exactly that with my trimmings except the apple juice.  Run through this thread (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.0).  There is a photo of the trimmings on the top rack just as you described about halfway down the thread.    Let me know how the apple juice works out. I like the soaking in apple juice idea.  If you report favorably, juicing the trimmings (is that legal?) will be added to my next smoke.  The last photo shows who is waiting on the trimmings.

Good luck and self basting,

Pachanga

Great link! Thanks, Pachanga. It looks like you & I are pretty much on the same sheet of music when it comes to smoking brisket. I'm not Texan by birth, but I am West Texan by marriage. My first real exposure to authentic backyard Texas BBQ was in 1987 at my wedding reception in San Angelo, courtesy of my new bride's family. Brisket, cabritos and chicken, fresh tortillas, pico de gallo, homemade sauce...all the good stuff. I threw myself on the pit master's mercy and have been trying my best to do justice to real Texas Q ever since.

ronbeaux

YeeHaaa! You had to go and mention cabrito, brisket, tortillas, pico de gallo, chicken, and fresh tortillas in the same sentence. Oh lord I'm homesick. The only thing you left out was longnecks, paper plates, hot apple pie, checkered table cloths, and toothpicks made from a raccoons you know what.

Obviously you can't go throwing a big ass brisket around on the Bradley to make sure it's in the right spot, mopping with a real janitors mop dipped in a 5 gallon bucket of mop sauce, fling logs on the size you use in a fireplace, or shake seasoning on using a bucket instead of a jar with holes in the lid, but you are going to get real close(less smoke ring) to having a quality brisket.

Cheers!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Pachanga

Ron,

We need to hear an Amen on your comments.  Now everybody.

Amen, Amen.

Pachanga

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ronbeaux

Old_Sarge

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 12, 2009, 02:18:21 PM
Obviously you can't go throwing a big ass brisket around on the Bradley to make sure it's in the right spot, mopping with a real janitors mop dipped in a 5 gallon bucket of mop sauce, fling logs on the size you use in a fireplace, or shake seasoning on using a bucket instead of a jar with holes in the lid, but you are going to get real close(less smoke ring) to having a quality brisket.

Cheers!

I miss that aspect of Q for sure, but given my schedule the Bradley is an awesome system and a fine alternative to not having time to bbq at all.

The Ft Huachuca Morale, Welfare and Recreation outdoor rental office has some great trailer-mounted BBQ setups. I'll be renting one from time to time for big events to get my "classic Q" fix  ;)  There's nothing I love more than reserving a park and doing a massive BBQ event for 50 or so soldiers.

ronbeaux

squirtthecat

hal4uk

Hey... --- now don't start passin' out the snakes yet...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Pachanga

QuoteThey're all heathens.

I'll stipulate to that.  ;D

A Proud Texican,

Pachanga

Old_Sarge

Okay, point in FTC mode after 17h 10m , IT 198. Did an 8-hour smoke w/ Jack Daniels oak pucks. Flat moved down one shelf, holding @ 169 IT. Will FTC the deckle for 2.5-3 hours, then pull. Waiting on the flat...probably another 2 hours, then 2 hours FTC for slicing. Should get done at the same time as the frijoles. Pico de Gallo and a big bowl of my Justifiably Famous Potato Salad is seasoning in the fridge; now it's time to prep the tortilla dough while I wait for the peach cobbler to finish in the oven.

Pictures to follow once the entire process is complete.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ronbeaux

Peach cobbler! Yes!! You gonna make burnt ends with that point???

Old_Sarge

Kevin: I meant Jim Beam, my bad!  :P I ordered them from Amazon.

Jack Daniels pucks would be awesome.

Ronbeaux: Yep; gonna reserve some of the point for burnies 'n biscuits.