SMOKFOR at BriskCon 1, Launch in T -11. Question...

Started by Old_Sarge, December 11, 2009, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

Quote from: Old_Sarge on December 13, 2009, 11:42:33 AM
Kevin: I meant Jim Beam, my bad!  :P I ordered them from Amazon.

Jack Daniels pucks would be awesome.

Ronbeaux: Yep; gonna reserve some of the point for burnies 'n biscuits.

Somehow I knew you were, but had to ask ::)
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KevinG

Quote from: Old_Sarge on December 13, 2009, 11:42:33 AM
Kevin: I meant Jim Beam, my bad!  :P I ordered them from Amazon.

Jack Daniels pucks would be awesome.

I think I'd have to buy stock in bisquettes if they made em in JD!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Pachanga

Old Sarge,

Quotea big bowl of my Justifiably Famous Potato Salad

I am a potato salad junkie.  Are you going to share your recipe or are you just a tease.  I'm going to need a little more than just pictures.

QuoteShould get done at the same time as the frijoles. Pico de Gallo and a big bowl of my Justifiably Famous Potato Salad is seasoning in the fridge; now it's time to prep the tortilla dough while I wait for the peach cobbler to finish in the oven.

Sounds like you've got everything laid out just perfect.

Burnt ends, pico, frijoles, potato salad, cobbler.

I just have one word for you.

Amen!!!

QuoteI'm not Texan by birth, I am West Texan by marriage

She must be a proud woman.

Good luck and Texas stylin' it,

Pachanga

Old_Sarge

Well, everything came out great. I can't objectively say whether it's the best brisket I've ever done, but it's in the upper percentile. Given the ease that the OBS brings to the process, I can definitely say that I never expected to be able to produce a brisket this good with so little effort.

Posterity:

Dinner on the hoof (judging by the size of the brisket):

As it was in the beginning:

99 cents a pound folks; read 'em and weep!

Deckle and flat separated. The bag in the background is the trimmings soaked in apple juice, apple vinegar and rub. They'll go on the top shelf and rain fatty goodness upon the brisket.

The point, all FTC'd and ready to pull:

The flat, rested and set for slicin':

Sliced flat and pulled point in the pan (what's left after the family's first attack):

Atomic Baby Buffalo Turds before:

ABBTs after:

Add fresh tortillas, frijoles, potato salad, pico de gallo, and peach cobbler w/ ice cream, and you've got yourself a pretty good Sunday dinner.

Pachanga: The bark was thick and chewy, and sweeter than any I've ever had without mopping or spritzing. I think I have to attribute this to the 'treated' trimmings set to self baste. I'll verify next time around by setting up the drip with plain trimmings on the top shelf.

On that note, my Bradley is a MESS!

Pachanga

Old Sarge,

It looks like you knocked it out of the park.

You are certainly right about the Bradley making great brisket without the effort.  You achieved a perfect looking bark that covers the brisket in flavor; a true Texas style barbequed brisket.  The interior looks moist and tender.  

That little West Texas gal you married must be a happy camper when she sits down to your barbeque, tater salad and cobbler (or does she make the cobbler?).  Importing a little Texas to Fort Huachuca, Arizona.  However, my experience is that Arizona has some pretty fine regional cooking also.  Being close to the border, you probably get into some serious Mexican food mixed with a little Native American Indian influence.

Are there any secret ingredients in the ABT's and are those fresh sport peppers, local peppers or some type of Greek pepper?  Any one sounds good to me but I have never used them for what I call poppers.  I'm going to give that a shot.

Good looking smoke and nice report.  I am going to try the apple juice soaked trimmings.  Good idea.

QuoteOn that note, my Bradley is a MESS!

Good luck, slow smoking and remember; a messy Bradley is a happy Bradley.

Pachanga

Tenpoint5

Good Looking Brisket there Sarge! Them abbt's look pretty good as well. Commissary has brisket that cheap must be nice.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Looks good! That's one heck of a big cow or an awful small person next to it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Great looking Brisket and a great sounding meal. Bet you had some happy campers eating that chow!

This has been a fun thread to read and some very good info passed on. Thanks

Old_Sarge

Quote from: Pachanga on December 14, 2009, 12:27:56 AM
Old Sarge,

Are there any secret ingredients in the ABT's and are those fresh sport peppers, local peppers or some type of Greek pepper?  Any one sounds good to me but I have never used them for what I call poppers.  I'm going to give that a shot.

Pachanga

Pachanga,

Not much difference between the ABTs and my ABBTs. I posted the recipe in the "Recipes in Development" subforum.