cold smoke temp

Started by Brian B, December 12, 2009, 07:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian B

i was wondering if it is ever to cold out to cold smoke. its 26 degree celcius.  thanks in advance

squirtthecat

Quote from: Brian B on December 12, 2009, 07:26:03 AM
i was wondering if it is ever to cold out to cold smoke. its 26 degree celcius.  thanks in advance

That sounds awfully warm to me!

Brian B

Brian B

ya i messed up 26f   myfault sorry

squirtthecat

I think the temperature from just the smoke generator would keep it warm enough in your BS to keep cheese/whatever from freezing.

Easy test:  Just go out and turn on the smoke gen.  Leave the cabinet off.   See how warm it gets in 45 minutes or so.

KyNola

Go for it Brian, the SG will warm the box sufficently.

KyNola

Ka Honu

Just curious (and have no intent of ever experiencing this) but does the smoke itself freeze at temperatures that low?  If so, we can start a whole new product line selling smoke ice.  It should be good in soups, stews, and certain cocktails.

KyNola

KH,
I think I remember that NePaS already has the patent on the process and is working on trademarking it.

KyNola

Ka Honu

I shoulda known.  Someone must have given him a nitrogen bath that he had to figure out what to do with.

squirtthecat

I did it the hard way, but wasn't able to harvest the smoke-cicles in time:

Slamdunk

External temperature 2 degrees  Farenheit - a few snowflakes falling - Smoke Generator only - internal temp (cabinet thermometer) 80 degrees. So, I'd say go for it!!

Just finished smoking some Gouda, Colby, Swiss and Cheddar - 8 pounds in all. First time smoking Gouda and Colby so am interested in how they turn out. Used apple and smoked for 2 1/2 hours. Pulled the Swiss out after 2 hours - following Pensrock's recommendation on the Swiss as he feels it smokes the fastest of the cheeses.

Also smoked 4 pounds of almonds for 2 1/2 hours. Divided them and then put them in two types of sauces. Two pounds covered with one cup Louisiana Hot Sauce combined with 1/4 Tabasco sauce. The other  two pounds -- one cup Bulls-eye Garlic and Honey BBQ sauce. Ground pepper on both of them and into the preheated 300 degree oven they went.

Will leave em there for about 1/2 hour then take them out, mix em up and back in the oven for another 1/2 hour.

Just as with smoked cheese, I think smoked nuts get better with time, so will leave both cheese and nuts for two weeks.