smoked sea salt questions...

Started by sage03, December 12, 2009, 07:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sage03

Have looked over some smoked sea salt recipes and still not sure if i need to mix salt and H2o or can i just spread out over a screen dry  and have at it ?  I have 5 14.5 oz packages of coarse sea salt. How about 3-4 hrs of pecan or hickory ? Any suggestions, comment,snide remarks or what have you are always welcome!! :) :)

squirtthecat

I've only done it once, but I used coffee filters to spread the salt on.     Worked great.   

I used 2 hours of Pecan, but I also had some cheese in the box and didn't want to overwhelm it with smoke.

squirtthecat

A visual..

Salt on the bottom, then paprika/peppercorns, then a bag of ball park peanuts, then a few blocks of cheese.

(those are commercial Bunn sized coffee filters)

ronbeaux

I did just salt in mine. All I did was make a foil tray and dump salt on it. Every 30 minutes I would stir up the salt. Worked great.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

sage03

:)awesome pic of salt, cheese and smokey nuts(!) I dug out 2 old but cleaned up spatter guards with fine mesh to spread salt on.I think these will work out OK :-\ I'm also wondering...heat, or no heat ? I'm leaning toward 150deg.  for 2-3 hrs. I have cold smoker set-up..just think it needs some heat... 

sodak

I have done salt and paprika so far.  Small cookie sheet, couple of hours of apple.

sage03

Just an update on my smoked sea salt.. I used 2 old splatter screens(cleaned) shaped them to fit in the rack. I put almost the whole pkg (14.5oz) of coarse sea salt on each rack...spread out evenly. I filled up BS w/ 3 hrs Pecan ..set temp appx 120. At the 1/2 way point took salt out and stirred it around and returned to BS.Removed , let cool and put in small glass containers...some for gifts,some to keep! First taste was awesome ...used on a couple of ribeyes. My wife loved it..wants me to do more. Next time may try some hickory or mesquite.. I'm hoping this may get better with age...like the cheese. :) :)

drewpatton

Sounds great sage! Now I am inspired to do some salt!

Drew

Quarlow

A little of the subject but along the same topic. I got a gift basket of choclate at xmas and it contained this.

It was interesting. Dark chocolate with sea salt crystals in it that crunch as you chew it. Different for sure.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

sage03

that's a new one on me!! haven't seen that before... :-\ Have you tried it yet? ???

Quarlow

Yeah it was different for sure but not bad. If you like dark chocolate you will....I won't say you'll love it but it's worth a try. They also have one with chili peppers in it now that one is good. I really like that one.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

drewpatton

Fleur de sel is a rare french sea salt that is harvested by hand. It has a flavor that is remarkable. I use it only for special occasions due to the cost, and only for finishing cooked foods never for seasoning while cooking. I have heard of chefs using it in deserts and ice cream.

Drew

Bavind

I have had excellent results with hickory smoking sea salt for 20 hours. Salt comes out fantastic and almost looks like amber. Great taste.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Bavind on January 12, 2010, 05:43:59 PM
I have had excellent results with hickory smoking sea salt for 20 hours. Salt comes out fantastic and almost looks like amber. Great taste.

20?  Wow!   Using what type of smoker?

Bavind