Looking for Expert Advice

Started by Rainmaker, November 24, 2009, 07:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I just finished my first effort at smoking salmon.  I did a small amount using Kummok's recipe.  I am quite happy with the results, but have some questions for the experts before my next batch. 

How do you know when it is done?  Is it just a question of taste?  I like my smoked salmon quite moist so sampled mine after 5 hours and took it off then because it tasted real good.  My wife liked it but thought it should be a bit drier.

If I want to make it sweeter and add some maple flavour (Canadian eh!), do I add maple syrup to the brine or do I "paint" the pieces with some maple syrup while they are drying after the brining?

Thanks for your advice :)

Slamdunk

Well, I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses to those questions because most of us have asked them as well.

1. "How do you know when it is done? " - most people would use a fork and test it by lifting/or prying a small piece of meat apart from the rest of the meat. This allows you to see the colour of the meat as well to see how dry the meat is. As to what is the right colour and dryness, well that leads to your second statement.

2. "I like my smoked salmon quite moist so sampled mine after 5 hours and took it off then because it tasted real good.  My wife liked it but thought it should be a bit drier." - yes it is a personal food experience. Next time you do some, just put on a separate rack for your wife and leave your better half's half on for a bit longer. That's what I do and it's worked so far.

I also hope that others will reply to the other issues like food safety.

Good luck on your next batch and by the way, isn't Kummok's recipe great??

Quarlow

Hey while Kummoks recipe looks great and I will try sometime, I do mine different. But to answer your questions Slamdunk has you covered. If you want to add maple syrup to the brine go right ahead you can't hurt it. I do a dry brine and then just before smoking I rinse of the brine brush on some maple syrup and add more brown sugar over that. And as far as the dryness just go to your liking, we like ours drier and real smoky so it gets more smoke and more time. Your doing fine and you have a good base now play with it and have fun.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tim SF

Quote from: JimV on November 24, 2009, 07:58:15 PM

If I want to make it sweeter and add some maple flavour (Canadian eh!), do I add maple syrup to the brine or do I "paint" the pieces with some maple syrup while they are drying after the brining?

I just finished a batch w/ Kummok's brine. I brushed on hot honey three times during the process (like 2hrs, 4hrs, and when finished). I have tried doing it just at the end, but the multiple applications really infuses the sugars. I have also done this with a combination of maple-syrup/honey (80/20%) and it's awesome too. After doing both ways a couple of times, I prefer just using honey.

Rainmaker

Thanks for the advice.  Think I will try brushing a portion of my next batch with some maple syrup and honey.

RossP

I did a batch that I brushed with a mixture of Dark Rum and Demerara Sugar.
Everyone really liked that batch, even our Pastor ;D

R
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

tsquared

QuoteEveryone really liked that batch, even our Pastor Grin

R
Holy Smoke! :D
T2

oakville smoker

Just finished one
90 minutes of smoke, 10 mins in big oven at 475
Moist as anything, splash of maple syrup before plating

Observations:  my oven is convection, 475 is too high
salmon had a touch of bark that I was not looking for
Inside was incredibly moist

I dont think you can undercook salmon but someone with more knowledge will have an educated opinion
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

KevinG

Quote from: JimV on November 24, 2009, 07:58:15 PM

How do you know when it is done?  Is it just a question of taste?  

145 F is the temp you are looking for but like everyone else said the fork test is the best way.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Kummok

I like the "pop-it-in-my-mouth" test but that's mostly just to validate what my eyes are already telling me. Although I whole heartedly support Oakville's advice about not being able to undercook salmon, not everyone likes salmon as rare as my wife and I. I like my smoked salmon cooked (kippered) but grilling's a different story. When we serve it grilled at home, it's off the grill while still raw in the middle and just crosses the line to "cooked" when put on the individual plate (allowing time for proper blessing :) )

Habanero Smoker

Kummok;

I like your test. I'm going to have to use that test more often. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Quote from: RossP on November 26, 2009, 01:25:29 PM
I did a batch that I brushed with a mixture of Dark Rum and Demerara Sugar.
Everyone really liked that batch, even our Pastor ;D

R

hey RossP;

I'm a pastor who smokes in his spare time... or am i a smoker who is a part-time pastor?

That Dark rum and Demerara sugar sounds great and I'll try it.

Too bad: our church staff Christmas party was yesterday and I did bring some smoked salmon.... !

Rich

Kummok

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 10, 2009, 02:53:27 AM
Kummok;

I like your test. I'm going to have to use that test more often. :)

Wish I could send you a few samples to test, Habs....but I've been stuck in SoCal since Oct and won't be back home to smoke til Jan/10. I did manage to pick up a Big Easy to experiment with while down here though. Not all bad here....getting in lots of grandkid time while awaiting the arrival of a new granddaughter!

CK

JimV,
I was wondering what type of salmon was it that you were smoking.
Not all salmon is the same as far as fat goes.
The reason I ask is I have added maple syrup to red springs (Kings with red meat for you in the US) in the past and have found that the oil coming out of the fish while smoking "washes" the maple syrup off.
I applied it if I remember correctly around half way through the smoking, I had to add more near the end. 

Any 1 else have this problem???

I mostly smoke the white springs (Kings with white meat) and have gone away from adding maple syrup, I found it really didn't do any thing for me.  But I am thinking about the Rum and demerara deal, sounds really good.