Freezing Cured fish - Pre Smoke

Started by surfer69, December 13, 2009, 11:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfer69

If I brined some salmon, can I freeze straight away, to thaw at a later date for drying/smoking ?

Quarlow

I think you would find you will end up with a really salty salmon when your done. I would just freeze it then brine it when you are ready.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

surfer69

yep, After a little thought i dragged it out of the brine (only been in for 30 mins) and froze it.

Need to work on my forward planning !!

tsquared

I agree with Quarlow--freeze first.
T2

Kummok

I frequently freeze brined salmon, (when I've brined a little too much and I can't squeeze any more on the drying racks), and I haven't experienced any problems with taste/texture. I just thaw it and dry it with the next brined batch. I once even "misplaced" a bag of the stuff in the freezer and thawed/dryed/smoked it a year later and it was still great. It would be inefficient for my methods to do this routinely but I wouldn't hesitate recommending freezing brined salmon for later drying/smoking if you end up with too much or your drying/smoking plans are interrupted........

manxman

QuoteI frequently freeze brined salmon,

I frequently freeze brined whitefish, herring and mackeral and like Kummock haven't had a problem doing it this way. I typically do it when I haven't caught enough fish to warrant running the BS!  :-[
Manxman