What am I doing wrong?

Started by MPTubbs, December 13, 2009, 07:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Nobody likes to hear you are having problems and we don't like to hear you are frustrated with your Bradley.

IMO, If you are not achieving a high temp in an empty smoker then you may have a heating problem.

Like everyone has said, that is a mass of meat, but you should be able to do it in a reasonable time in your Bradley.

Run your temp to max and like Pachanga has said when your maverick tells you you have got to your desired cab
temp then you can bring down the temp setting. Yor placement of your Maverick is important. Just below the lowest rack of food.

In your cold conditions, warm up your Bradley at max temp for hr or so.

On chicken because of the moister, you should leave your vent 3/4 to full open. If you shut the vent you will have moister
build up in the cab and it will be bad for generator and cause you to have lower cab temps.

Like any cooker/smoker/grill/oven there is a learning curve.

If you feel you have a problem give BRADLEY a call! They are great people and they want you happy too.

Let us know what the out come is.

Pachanga

mptubbs,

I feel your pain frustration.

All the advice in the world doesn't cure a problem unless it hits the right note.

Try this:

Kick it and spit on it.  Scratch that.  You've already done it several times.

1) If you haven't already, as CRG says, crank the troublemaker up to maximum and verify that the heating element is glowing all of the time in an empty smoker.  I understand that the temp was set at 250 and it should have not gone off when reading 220.  Crank it up higher.

2) Call Bradley.  They will make you happy.  Their customer service is A plus.  This is my experience and the experience of many others.

Let's get this thing working and have fun.

Good luck and faster smoking,

Pachanga

MPTubbs

Talked to Brian @ Bradley (love his accent) and he said that what I'm going through is normal with a load like that and the outside temp @ 25 degrees.

P.S. Very nice people Brian is.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Caneyscud

Three things come to mind after reading and rereading.  Assuming all things Bradley are ok then

1.  Check to see if ALL plugs are pushed in all the way.  Sometimes on the back of the chamber or the generator one or more don't get pushed in all the way - they can be tricky.
2.  Are you using an extension cord?  If it is too long or too small, you could have a situation that not enough juice is reaching the element.
3.  Check your circuit that the unit is plugged in to.  If you have a lot of things running off that circuit, again, the element might not be getting enough juice.  You can check it with a voltmeter to be sure. 

Yes, the Bradley is slow.  And that is a good thing - that is what it is designed to do - it performs magic - smoke cooks meat "low-n-slow" with a modicum of tending - almost "set-n-forget".  The biggest danger to good barbecue is "hot and fast".  That low heat has to have enough time to have it's way with those hunks of meat.  It goes at them relentlessly, steadily, unweildingly, until they surrender and holler "I'm finished - I'm done - get us outta here".  It is not designed to grill - it's just not.  It does act like your oven, but not for over say 250.  If you need hotter than that, there are other toy---err----tools that can be used.  As an aside, some have circumvented the slow heating and recovery, by modding the Bradley by adding an additional element.  But again, this is good for quicker heating and quicker heat recovery - they should not be used to cook brisket at 300 and expect succulent, melt-in-your-mouth, flavor explosion brisket - It ain't gonna happen! 

Two things to help with the heat recover.  One already mentioned
1.  The Bradley has very little mass to hold heat.  It is far easier to maintain a steady temperature in a large stickburner - mainly because of the large amount of steel/iron that holds the heat once heated.  The Bradley does not have this mass.  So adding mass helps - there fore the brick suggestion.  Also leaving the full water bowl in will help.  Also when putting the water bowl in - use the hottest water you can.  That way you are not having to heat the water also. 
2.  The Bradley achieves its hottest temperature utilizing the heat from the puck burner also.  The element it a 500 watt element - and the puck burner is 125 watts.  When both are running you have 625 watts of heat.  If you cut the puck burner off, then you are reducing the available wattage for heating down by 20%.  Keep the puck burner on until the heat recovers to your set temp, then cut it off and see if the temp is maintained.
3.  Limit the number of times opening the door - ESPECIALLY early in a cook.  Remember the earlier comment about the Bradley not having much mass to store heat.  The only heat it has is the element/s and the heated air.  When you open the door, much of the heated air is lost and the Bradley has to heat more up.  Later in the cook, opening the door is not as much of a problem because the 20 pounds of chicken or whatever meat you have is also warm/hot and is acting as a heated mass. 
4.  If you can find chickens that have not been injected, you should have a shorter cook time.  Its all physics Mr. Watson, its all physics!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

MPTubbs

Canescud,

Thanks for your input!

I will incorporate what all have said in the next smoking.

OU812

Once you get over this small learning curve you will be a smoking guru.

Heck thats most of the fun, learning something new, finding the problems and kicking its ass.

MPTubbs

Learning curve????.....I think my new toy is go'n to be fun!

Thanks all for your input.

Now I need to put on the thinking cap and start playing!

OU812

Quote from: mptubbs on December 15, 2009, 05:44:17 PM
Learning curve????.....I think my new toy is go'n to be fun!

Thanks all for your input.

Now I need to put on the thinking cap and start playing!

Go get'm neighbor.

MPTubbs

Hey OU812.....
What smoker U got?

OU812

MPTubbs

How long does it take U to smoke a 18 pound turkey @ 25 degrees out side?

I think that's what I'm smok'n next.

classicrockgriller

I know this question is for OU but I wouldn't try to fight the elements unless you had to.

After you have gone thru the smoke stage in your Bradley I would put that "Big" bird in the oven to finish.

All the Bradley is, is a oven after the smoke stage.

I think you would be less stressed if you finish in the house oven.

KyNola

I'm 100% with CRG on this one.  The BDS is nothing more than a somewhat inefficient oven after the smoke period, especially in less than ideal conditions such as cold and windy temps.  I would smoke the bird and when finished with the smoke period, bring the turkey in the house and finish it there.  You will be MUCH less stressed and the cooking temp will be much more consistent.

KyNola

squirtthecat

... and your house will smell amazing!

classicrockgriller

You can still monitor the IT with your maverick and cook until you get the IT you want (165 to 170)

Make sure you probe in deepest part of breast and the thigh joint area and take several readings.