1st Smoke with my new OBS *pics*

Started by Max, December 13, 2009, 08:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Seasoned the OBS yesterday and today doing my first smoke. The menu for today is: baby back ribs, turkey drumsticks, jalapeño poppers, and homemade coleslaw.

Initial prep last night involved making the slaw, brining the turkey legs in a salt/sugar/thyme solution and dry rub on the ribs after removing the membrane. Pre-fridge pic:

Woke up this morning patted the turkey legs dry:

Everything sitting out to get up to room temp. Mixed up a little more dry rub (can't see the brown sugar in the pic):

Made those legs a little happier:

Had to split the ribs into two slabs to fit on the racks:

Cored the jalapeños:

Here's what is going in them: cream cheese, shredded cheddar, celantro, and green onion:

After stuffing the peppers I recapped them and help with a toothpick:

So far so good:

Into the Bradley:

I'm using mostly maple pucks but threw a couple of cherries in there too. It is taking a long time to get the OBS up to temp, but I expected that with the cold weather here in NY. Boiled the water before putting in the bowl which seemed to help. But I think it was taking the pic with the door open that did the most damage. Well, I'm glad I started early. Wish me luck. I can't wait to post the results!

Max

KevinG

How did you core those peppers like that. Do you have some type of drill bit that reams them out, or did you just dig around with a knife?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KyNola

Looking good Max.  If I might offer one suggestion.  Turkey legs on the bottom rack as you don't want the poultry juices dripping on your peppers.  Place the peppers on the top rack position, ribs in 2 & 3 and turkey legs on the bottom.  You can also wrap those peppers in bacon if you have any.

Great photos!

KyNola

Old_Sarge

Great photos, and I'm glad you posted them because I totally forgot that I was going to make stuffed peppers, but there's still time!

I think you're going to have a fantastic meal on your hands (and cheeks and chin) in a few hours  ;D

ArnieM

Looks like you'll have enough for dinner Max  :)  I know what you mean about the cold.  It was 11*F here near Danbury when I got up this morning.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

Quote from: KevinG on December 13, 2009, 08:26:35 AM
How did you core those peppers like that. Do you have some type of drill bit that reams them out, or did you just dig around with a knife?

I don'[t know how Max did it, nut there is are tools specifically for coring the Jals.  I got one 'thrown in' when I got my pepper rack.  Pic below.

-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KevinG on December 13, 2009, 08:26:35 AM

Kevin, I use a special tool that core squash or eggplants when I do ABTs.

Great looking food there Max.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Hopefull Romantic

Kevin, Arnie just showed you what I was talking about.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Old_Sarge

Dang...I gotta get me one of those. I just slice the tops off and core 'em with my fingers under cold running water...

KevinG

Yup, I'm thinking I need to get me one of those tools too. Thanks for the Pic Arnie!

Max

Thanks all for the input and encouragement.

Kevin - I cored the peppers with a narrow steak knife, carefully working my way around the "ribs" of the peppers, then stabbing the core and twisting to remove.

Ky - I thought about the position of the racks and the jalapeños catching the drips, after it was too late. I'll reposition as you recommend when I foil the ribs.

I'm getting a little worried about the temp as it has been over 2 hours and I'm only at 220 degrees, that's with the temp set to MAX. Might be a late dinner tonight. It's freezing rain outside and I'm going to have to open the door twice between now and eating time for the ribs.

Max

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Max. Just want to add that if the filling starts to leak out on those ABT's you can stand them up on a rack. If they are smaller and slip through the holes, just insert a toothpick to prevent them from falling through.

It all looks great and gook luck with it.
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

ArnieM

Max - If you happen to have a brick handy, cover it in foil and put it in a 450 oven for half an hour or so.  Then CAREFULLY slide it in to the right of the water bowl.  It should give a small kick to the heat and help with temp retention when you have to open the door.

I don't think my OBS has ever gotten over 235-240 even in the warm weather.
-- Arnie

KyNola

Max,
220 is a good temp, especially for those ribs!  You're doing great my friend.

Those turkey legs looked really good with that rub on them too.

KyNola