1st Smoke with my new OBS *pics*

Started by Max, December 13, 2009, 08:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Ok, just hit 225. I'm going to try and keep it there. A little later I'll open her up, foil the ribs, rotate the racks, and refill the bowl with some boiling water. But I think I'll stop feeding the smoke at that point. I don't have a brick to put in, oh well. If the jalepenos look done, I'll take them out for an early snack but my guess is they won't be ready.

Now working on making BBQ sauce on the range top and mixing a box of cornbread.

Max

squirtthecat

If you can scrounge a cast iron pan (9x9 or so), you can put that in the bottom of your BS to help retain heat..  That's what I use in mine.

hal4uk

That all looks great, Max!

And I agree with KyNola...
(220 is my target temp for ribs...)

----
Wonder how a cast iron skillet full of lava rocks would do?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

I've actually got a Le Creuset enamel over cast iron lasagna pan that would cover the bottom of my Bradley - with some torch work on the handles..   It's a heavy beast.  The Mrs would kill me, though.  (even though it's never been used!)

Max, this is what I came up with.   That is a 7x7" foil pan insert from Walmart.  It holds about 50% more water than the Bradley pan.

Tenpoint5

Looks great Max. Just remember to move them legs down under the Japs. That last picture almost looks like an advertisement for a Bradley. With the inside looking so clean and shiny!! Wont stay that way long I'm thinking
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Max

Thanks guys. Here's the latest:

Pulled out the ribs, here's what they looked like before splashing with apple juice, wrapping in foil, and returning to the smoker.

The turkey legs I just moved to the bottom rack, here's what they looked like. (I'm a little concerned about them drying out.)

The jalepenos... well they tasted good. But I think having them on the bottom rack was a mistake, they seem overcooked to me. But the cheese did not leak out and the flavor was there. Maybe a bit too hot even after removing all the seeds and ribs. Must have got a hot batch.

Max

KyNola

All looking great Max.  Great first time using it.

Those ribs are going to be killer.  Start looking for the meat to start pulling back from the end of the bones.  That's when you know you've got them where you want them.

Great job Max!!

KyNola

hal4uk

Those ribs are coming along very nicely!

Like KyNola said, when the ribs get there, they'll be pulling back from the bone - like 1/4-1/2 inch.

The ABTs look to me like maybe they cooked a little too fast (?)
Or too long?  But if you cooked them too long, I think the heat flavor would have totally dissipated.
One of these "ABT afficionados" will be along shortly... ;-)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Tenpoint5

Since you brined the turk legs they should be fine. That Japs look black in the pics like they got too much heat on them too fast. A quick wrap with Bacon will take care of that. Ribs are looking good after stage one. I usually do ribs at 225 But that shouldn't make a lot of difference. Like the guys said the ribs will tell you when they are done. When you get to the third step and the hour is up look at the ribs if they haven't pulled back on the bone 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the tips let them go another 1/2 hour then check again.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Max

The turkey legs came out great. They were fully cooked and moist. I pulled/shredded the meat apart and put into a container with my BBQ sauce and some apple juice. Gonna eat the ribs tonight and have pulled turkey sandwiches tomorrow.

The jalapenos were almost black. I think this was caused by them being on the bottom rack, catching the drippings and being close to the heating element. I'll know for next time.

The ribs are still in, one slab looks like it's already pulled back, the other not so much. But if they are as good as the turkey legs I'll be happy.

Max

Tenpoint5

To quote my buddy Kynola "Reel him in Boy's, He's hooked!!"

Max

Everything is done and was delicious.

Turkey legs came out moist and flavorful.

I pulled them apart to use for sandwiches tomorrow. Sorry I didn't wipe the bowl before taking the pic.

Ribs came out great. Not fall off the bone, I actually got lucky, they had a little pull to them and the meat came off nice and clean.

Homemade BBQ sauce, coleslaw, and some Jiffy cornbread.

Can't wait until the next smoke.

Max

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Congrats to a great looking 1st smoke Max! So what can we look forward to seeing next?
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG