Frozen Salmon from Sam's

Started by mbetz, January 27, 2010, 05:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbetz

Has anyone tried smoking the frozen marinated salmon from Sam's?  We have some in the freezer right now and was wondering if it was worth trying.

Thanks,

Mark

Quarlow

I have never cause there is no sam's up here but I always freeze my fish before skoming them. The ice crystals expanding in the meat help to sort of tear the flesh up and allows it to brine better. Then when smoking it takes smoke nicer too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mbetz

Thanks Quarlow.  Anouther quick question.  I was going to use the Alder pucks for the salmon.  How long should I apply the smoke?  And what temperature should I cook them at?  And what IT do you recommend?

Thanks,

aces-n-eights

Hey Mark, when i smoke salmon, i usually apply about 2 hours of smoke.  Alder works great on salmon, and i have had great success with apple as well.  I don't really go for an IT with salmon, i ramp the temps up - 1 hr at 120, 1 hr at 140 and then 160 until done.  I test the salmon to be sure it's cooked thru - the testing is the best part!

What is the marinade flavor of your salmon?  That may have an impact on what wood to use - alder is a bit stronger tasting than apple.

Be sure to rotate the racks.  The salmon on the lower rack, inside, will cook a lot faster than the top rack.

Let us know how it turns out!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

mbetz

Aces-n-eights below is a picture of the frozen salmon we have.  Now that I have a PID and with your information ramping up the temp in stages will be manageable.

aces-n-eights

Cool!  Yes, a programmable PID definitely makes life easier.

This is a link to Kummok's salmon recipe over on the recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105

If you haven't seen this, take a look, especially at the cooking times and temps.  This is definitely one of those tried and true recipes for me.  Obviously you won't have to brine - that's already been done for you - but the technique may be of interest.

Enjoy!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8