Cold Smoked Shrimp

Started by BigSmoker, March 17, 2005, 12:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Finally decided to do this last night.  I bought 13 large shrimp peeled them, tossed with a little olive oil, sprinkeled with some rub and put them on for 40 minutes with alder wood.  Pulled them off and sauteed with a little more oil and rub.  Chopped them into big pieces and served over a bed of Barilla(sp?) pasta(very healthy, 17g protein, 7 grams of fiber and only 38 grams of carbs)and a white cheese sauce the SmokeMistress made.  Very tasty indeed. Next time will increase the smoke time to a full hour.

After the smoke

sauteeing

Finished sautee

Waalaa

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Awww, now dammit Jeff! I was going to skip dinner tonight because I had a big lunch, but after your pics, the tummy-be-a-grumblin'.[:p]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

The first thing your pics did was to make me look at the calendar and count how many days until prawn season opens. 15 days! I can't wait and I'm sure going to try them smoked and then on the pasta. The traps are all rigged up hanging on the wall of the garage. Woohoo! Good job, Jeff!
Tom

Kummok

Dawggonit Jeff....wish you wouldn't have posted that during my South Beach Diet "Phase 1" (no pasta, PERIOD!)....NOW I'm gonna have to start all over again![;)][:p][:p][:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

bsolomon

BigSmoker,

Looks fabulous.  I guess a picture is worth 1000 words.  I have made two postings in the past highly recommending cold smoking large shrimp and then sauteing them afterwards.  I have done this a few times and I can vouch for the results ( I have done this similarly over pasta and over saffron rice).

However, I think your pictures really sell the concept.  Now I know why I don't work in advertising[;)]  I have to remeber to use that digital camera I bought for my wife for Christmas.  I hope SmokinMoe is watching... that's how shrimp should be done!

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />BigSmoker,

Looks fabulous.  I guess a picture is worth 1000 words.  I have made two postings in the past highly recommending cold smoking large shrimp and then sauteing them afterwards.  I have done this a few times and I can vouch for the results ( I have done this similarly over pasta and over saffron rice).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I knew someone had mentioned doing this.  I couldn't remember who.  Thanks[:D].

Jeff

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I have to remeber to use that digital camera I bought for my wife for Christmas. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">bsolomon you are correct pictures do make things happen.

Also I have so many using my site as an upload for the net (folks serving in the war, gamers, and smokers) I don't remember if you have access or you are using photobucket.

<b>BigSmoker</b> If you will detail out what you did in a step by step outline, along with what-whose spices you used and posting it on the open forum at the recipe site I will add it to the finish Recipe FAQ section.

In a word your finished product is eye candy~~!

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

deadeye

Man the pics look great!!!!!!!!! I made some some this weekend also. I bought 1 1/2 of shrimp, it was only 18 of them they were like 10 to 12 count. I sprinkled them with some seafood seasoning and then I wrapped them in bacon and cooked them with Aplle chips man those things were out of sight!!!!!!!!!!! My wife and I had to keep counting the shrimp to make sure we each got 9 of them. Man they were excellent. i think I might try thr cold smoke next time looks good

Thanks

Derek

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>

<b>BigSmoker</b> If you will detail out what you did in a step by step outline, along with what-whose spices you used and posting it on the open forum at the recipe site I will add it to the finish Recipe FAQ section.

In a word your finished product is eye candy~~!

Sorry I missed this post.  Very simple recipe.  Peel shrimp all eccept for the last part of the tail section.  In a non-reactive bowl or a large zip lock bag toss shrimp with some EVOO and 1 tablespoon of your favorite rub.  I used Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin.  Place coated shrimp on wire rack and place in the smoker on the top shelf.  I had unplugged the cabinet from the generator, filled the water bowl with ice, left the top vent all the way open.  When you put the shrimp in also add a tray of ice below the shrimp.  Start the smoke.  I would add 1 more puck next time for a full hour of smoke.  As soon as the smoke finishes remove shrimp.  Sautee' shrimp with more EVOO, more rub if desired, and some chopped garlic. Sautee' for just a couple minutes per side.  Remove from heat and hot pan so you don't over cook them.  When cool enough to handle chop into big pieces and serve with favorite sauce over a bed of rice or pasta.  Enjoy.

Jeff

JJC

Hi Jeff,

I've done smoked shrimp several times using the S+S recipe (which is basically EVOO, salt and pepper.  On Easter, I used the Reveo to marinate it, and it made quite a difference.  I love your suggestion to use the Tsunami Spin Rub--that's definitely my intention this weekend with the smoked shrimp.  The S+S recipe just calls for cooking the shrimp in the smoker at 180-200F for about 30 min, which I've done with good results. Have you tried doing this, and do you think that sauteeing the shrimp after a cold-smoke is better?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Hi Jeff,

I've done smoked shrimp several times using the S+S recipe (which is basically EVOO, salt and pepper.  On Easter, I used the Reveo to marinate it, and it made quite a difference.  I love your suggestion to use the Tsunami Spin Rub--that's definitely my intention this weekend with the smoked shrimp.  The S+S recipe just calls for cooking the shrimp in the smoker at 180-200F for about 30 min, which I've done with good results. Have you tried doing this, and do you think that sauteeing the shrimp after a cold-smoke is better?

John
Newton MA

John,
The temp in my Bradley was only around the 150 area.  The sautee definitely seemed to set the smoke flavor.  I would think a cold smoke then back in the fridge overnight would do the same thing.  The main reason I did the cold smoke was I had read where bsolomon recomended it.  As soon as I can I will try the S&S recipe using some tumbled shrimp and a hot smoke.  Have fun.

Jeff

gotbbq

Jeff,

The shrimp look great.  I'm makin plans for this weekend.

Rich[^][^][^]

gotbbq