Kippered Beef Anyone?

Started by Hot Smokin Gal, March 17, 2005, 04:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Smokin Gal

Have made many batches of jerky in our smoker, as well as salmon (of course),bacon, hams, sausage, smoked pork chops, prime rib roast, etc.  Have not been able to perfect my family's favorite snack food - Kippered Beefsteak snacks.  ANYONE got a recipe that comes close?[?][:D]

jaeger

Gal,
Have you tried any commercial seasonings? I have had good luck with High Mountain and Eastman Outdoors. Here is a link for a site that sells Kippered Steak. To me it looks like small jerky strips.

http://www.amishmart.com/1oz-kippered-beef.html

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Hot Smokin Gal

Hey there Jaeger,
I;ve tried a veriety of different commercial seasonings like you mentioned as well as making my own concoctions.  This is a popular snack around WI and it is a moister product, peppery and a little sweet, thicker than traditional jerky and stored vacuum packed (as you saw in the picture).  Most national brands vacuum seal one or two pieces per pack with a bit of a brine.  We did find a place up near Minong, WI that sells it bulk in 10 pound paks that is slightly drier and not pakaged with any liquid, so I thought I'd try making something similar with our Bradley.  Results have been so-so.

jaeger

Hot Smokin Gal,
As you know, with any type of product that you make, there is always going to be a "learning curve". The jerky that you are trying to arrive at sounds to me like a very moist type. Most people smoke/cook jerky until it is fairly dry. One way that you could easily achieve this is to use a marinator with a vacuum as we have discussed on other threads. This technique will add 10 to 20% more moisture to your jerky. The only thing is most of use don't have a tumbler.(though mine is in the mail[:D]).
Here is what I would try, use a liquid as your base cure. Vacuum with a food saver if available. When you smoke this batch, don't over dry it. Through rotation and temperature, as soon as you achieve the color that you are after, at this point, insert your thermometer, close the damper and crank the heat to finish off the product. When you are ready to refrigerate, vacuum package the pieces. This will help to hold the moisture under storage.
Another item that works GREAT with this technique is Smoked Turkey Jerky. Just use turkey tenderloins cut into strips. Outstanding!

Sesh

Hot Smokin Gal,
You mean like Jack Links right?  Can't be another Kippered beef maker in that town.  That's one of my favorite snacks too and it's readily available in SE WI.  I also want to try making it and can't find any good info on the web.  Lot's of conjecture though.  Some folks say cut the strips thicker.  Some say cook it less to leave it moister.  Here's a good article that talks about the difference between Jerky and Kippered.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3289/is_7_168/ai_55412222
This article notes sugar being important in maintaining tenderness and also a higher moisture to protein ratio than  jerky.  Maybe jaeger has the right idea in using the vaccuum to increase moisture level.  Just ordered a food saver so I'll have to give it a try .  If you figure anything out let us know.

Hot Smokin Gal

Thanks for the suggestions.  Great link - looked over the info briefly, and will bookmark to study futher.  Maybe I'll try another batch this weekend if the snow misses us.  I heard we're really supposed to get it here the next couple of days (home base - Fond du Lac, WI - our cabin is up in great north country of Oulu which is just outside Iron River and just about exactly halfway between Ashland and Superior off of Hwy 2 and we found the meat snack factory off Hwy 53 when hubby was working in Menomonie and commuting to Oulu)  And yeah, of course I have the FoodSaver - aren't they great?  Especially for your venison - had too much get freezer burned using the ziplocks. Sure noticed the difference using the vacuum sealer!  Wish I had a meat tumbler too, decided it would wait after investing in a pricey stuffer and a new grinder.  I'll let you know how my next batch works out.

jaeger

Hot Smokin Gal,
The vacuum package machines are invaluable. Just so you know, you will probably start noticing more post regarding meat tumblers. I'll let you know how the jerky turns out with this tumbler. I'm sure you're one that could put one to good use!