Turkey smoked and then finished off in the oven questions

Started by _Bear_, December 16, 2009, 03:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

OK, The wife has informed me she wants her famous stuffing in the Christmas Turkey. So the plan I have come up with is to smoke the turkey for 3 or 4 hrs in the BDS, then finish it off in the oven. I wanted to do it in my new Big Easy, but the stuffing puts an end to that. So my question is, how should I prep the turkey for the smoker (I just bought an injector) and do I stuff it before I smoke or after the smoke? We are actually doing the turkey on Boxing day because thats when the kids and grand kid show up, for Christmas day I am smoking 2 hams with a mustard rub like i did a few weeks ago. I took my 85 year old dad some of that last one I did, and he liked it so much he orderd one for Christmas, so who am I to argue LOL.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Ka Honu

I've done the "half-smoked/half-roasted" turkey in both  the oven and TBE several times and several different ways but would not try it with dressing.  To my way of thinking, cooking both the turkey and the dressing in the "safe temp range" is going to be a problem.  I seem to remember this discussion from before somewhere but can't remember much more than that I wouldn't feel safe doing it.  I'd use aromatics in the turkey cavity and turkey stock in the dressing to get the flavors you want and cook them separately.

Habanero Smoker

I don't stuff even when I use only the oven. To get the stuffing to a safe temperature I end up cooking the poultry to a higher temperature then I like.

If you want to stuff, then the safe alternative is to hot smoke first. You may only need 2 hours of smoke. I find 3 or 4 hours too much. Then after you have smoked the turkey, stuff it and place in a preheated oven and roast until the stuffing reaches 165°F. If you have a stuffing cage, that will make stuffing the turkey a lot easier.

Stuffing Cage

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

_Bear_

Well, the wife insistes on her stuffing, she is a displaced newfi and loves he home made stuffing, the recipie has been in her family for over 200 years and it is VERY good with sausage meat and bacon in it. So I am thinking 2 small turkeys  ;D. She can have one and cook it in the oven, and I will do one smoked, and my new Big Easy arrived today so I think I will finish it of in it.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

classicrockgriller

Quote from: _Bear_ on December 17, 2009, 10:42:14 AM
Well, the wife insistes on her stuffing, she is a displaced newfi and loves he home made stuffing, the recipie has been in her family for over 200 years and it is VERY good with sausage meat and bacon in it. So I am thinking 2 small turkeys  ;D. She can have one and cook it in the oven, and I will do one smoked, and my new Big Easy arrived today so I think I will finish it of in it.

That is the best of both worlds and keeps peace in the family.

A recipe that has been in the family for over 200 years is priceless and should be honored.

Sure would like to hear alittle more about that.

_Bear_

If I let that recipe out I would be strung up by my ...............................................THUMBS  ;D. To tell you the truth, I don't even know it because she won't tell me but she told our two daughters, I just know it is good.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

classicrockgriller

I wouldn't ask you to do that, just what does it look and taste like?

Is it a cornbread dressing?

ArnieM

Bear, I think the two bird approach is good; one traditional and one experimental.  I usually experiment on friends and family and it's been working pretty well so far.  However, 'blowing it' on a major holiday celebration is not considered "Good Eats".  ;D

Here is my suggestion for the experimental bird.  I've never done it before.  If you get sick and die, please don't post here anymore.  >:(

Let's assume a 12-14 pound bird (unstuffed).  I'd agree with Habs on about 2 hours of hot smoke.  I prefer apple and/or pecan on poultry but of course it's up to you.  I'd let it cook about another hour in the smoker.

Stuff the bird 'lightly', keeping the stuffing on the drier side if possible (assumes the sausage and bacon is already cooked and drained).  Close up the cavity using skewers or even a cheese cloth plug if necessary.

Put the bird, feet down, into the BE cage.  Elevate the cage some, any way you can, to avoid the dead spot on the bottom.  Even a few small well-placed rocks on the bottom of the cook chamber would probably work.

The last turkey I did in the BE was 15 pounds (barely fit) and unstuffed.  It went about 10 minutes per pound.  It was not smoked prior to the BE.  I did inject it with some Cajun juice (melted butter and Cajun seasoning).

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

_Bear_

Kind of, they first bake the bread out of cornbread flower, then crumble it up, melt butter and pour over top of it, add the spices like sage and ??, then they add celery pieces, onion, garlic sausage meat and minced bacon, stuff it in the raw turkey and cook it
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

ArnieM

Watch it Bear, you're getting pretty close to being "strung up".   ;D
-- Arnie

_Bear_

LOL, you are probably right Arnie, thanks. I think I will leave all the stuffing to her this year, I have a little 9 lb bird I am going to hot smoke for a couple or three hrs with onions and garlic and peppers sitting in the cavaty then out of the smoker, remove the stuff in the cavaty and right into the Big Easy. Just an experement in flavor, and if I scew it up, it does not matter because it is already dead LOL, and besides, we will still have the wifes bird to feast on. I will post pictures of both.
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

classicrockgriller

Bear, take a look at this post and you might get a cpl ideas to help you.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12786.0

If you have any questions, just ask.

ArnieM

Bear, I've never seen a 9 pound turkey around here.  That's more like an oven stuffer chicken.

You might try some aromatics in the cavity; basil, thyme, sage and rosemary.  Maybe a couple wedges of orange or lemon or even apple.

But, beware.  The LAST thing you want is for your turkey to come out better than your wife's.  If that seems to be happening, just say "It's not quite done yet.  I have to put it back in a 500 degree oven for a few hours.  Gee honey, yours is so much better!"  It avoids alimony payments.  ;D
-- Arnie