apple smoked loin backs

Started by tinger82, December 30, 2009, 10:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinger82

Smoked my first loin back I rubbed mrs. Dash southwest chipolte seasoning (salt free) smoked with apple for 2 hours temp only got up to 250 it was below zero here in iowa then threw it in the crockpot for six more hours turned out pretty good. It was my first time using apple and I wasn't to impressed it could be a little stronger.what wood do you guys prefer for your ribs?

Quarlow

Hey Tinger welcome to the forum. I like my smoke fairly strong so I tend to use hickory or oak. However I did a turkey on monday and used Mesquite and loved how it came out.

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness

When we had our homemade smokers we always used alder with very good results, but now I find that alder is not smoky enough for me. This in its self is is odd because the smoke from the Bradley is way more concentrated. We use to smoke in a 3'x3'x12' plywood smoker and we would pour the smoke to it for 12 to 14 hrs. But with the bradley we only smoke for 4 to 5 hours. Most things don't get many hours of smoke. Like a pork butt which will be in the smoker for 14to 24 hours only gets 4 maybe 5 hrs of smoke. The guys will be along shortly to set this all straight but I think ribs only get 1 to 2 hrs of smoke.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

tinger82

Ya its kinda confusing how much smoke each thing gets, I got some more ribs today I think I might try the jim beam pucks or hickory, I was gonna save them for deer jerky but I'm addicted to ribs now

hal4uk

If God didn't want ya smokin' with Hickory, he'd send you to Texas.
(Uh oh.. 3... 2... 1...)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

tinger82

Haha what do they smoke with in texas? Cactus? Just kidding

hal4uk

According to WTS....
Mesquiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.

(whatever THAT is)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby