Butt & Brisket for 25-30

Started by Rockpig, December 31, 2009, 03:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig

Hello all!
     So on the 16th of the New Year I will be hosting a get together for about 25-30 people and plan on making some butts and brisket.  I have smoked 2 pork butts, both done on different days. 
I have yet to try smoking a brisket.
I'm using a 4 rack digital smoker and would need to smoke it all at one time, I'd finish it off in the oven after 4-5 hours of smoke, temps currently in mid 20's, so...
1. How much pork butt and brisket do you think I would need to feed 30 people with equal servings of each?
   (I was thinking 3 boston butts, 7 pounds each or 4 butts, 5 pounds each) (Have no idea for brisket)

2. How long would it take to smoke everything together-start to finish if temps are hovering in the 20's and smoker is outside? 
     As mentioned before, I would finish off in the oven inside, need a good start time to be finished by 1:00 (hour to rest before pulling and serving)

3. Dumb question-Can I smoke the butts and brisket together at the same time?  Preference on which should be on top racks or bottom racks?

4: Will this all fit in my smoker????

westexasmoker

I always figure 1 to 1 1/2 lb per person with the meat, but it kinda depends on what other sides your having also.  I don't want to run out of meat with hungry guest, so err on the more side and what the heck then you have some leftovers!  As far as timing goes thats a loaded question, depends on the meat some will get done before the others.  With brisket I always give myself at least 20 hours, but if done prior you still have plenty of time for an FTC with both the brisket and the butts.  As far as butts on top or brisket, I'd probably go with the briskets on the top two racks but I don't think it will really matter.  Keep in mind with that much of a load your temp will take what seems like forever to recover, I like your plan of finishing in the oven because once the smoke is applied thats all your doing anyway!  Hope that helps a bit, I bet you'll be a hit!  Keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

If any of your guest restrict pork from their diet, then as a courtesy place the brisket on top so that no pork fat or dripping fall on the brisket.

When I serve pulled pork with other meats I will use dinner roles. Using dinner rolls the pork serves more guests, and they don't fill over themselves and more likely try the other meats and foods. I recently smoked a 9.5 pound butt,  ended up with about 6 pound of pulled pork. Brought it to a family function that had other meats to serve, and used dinner rolls. That served 35 people with enough left over for guests to take some home.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Quote from: Rockpig on December 31, 2009, 03:59:55 PM
Hello all!
     So on the 16th of the New Year I will be hosting a get together for about 25-30 people and plan on making some butts and brisket.  I have smoked 2 pork butts, both done on different days. 
I have yet to try smoking a brisket.
I'm using a 4 rack digital smoker and would need to smoke it all at one time, I'd finish it off in the oven after 4-5 hours of smoke, temps currently in mid 20's, so...

With temps like that, I would plan to put the smoke on and then transfer to the house oven. It has more watts and doesn't have to fight the cold.

As far as quantity, I concur with WTS, better to have leftovers than hungry guests and no meat left.

1. How much pork butt and brisket do you think I would need to feed 30 people with equal servings of each?
   (I was thinking 3 boston butts, 7 pounds each or 4 butts, 5 pounds each) (Have no idea for brisket)

If doing all butts, I would do 4 8lb butts.

Or 2 8lb butts and 2 8lb briskets.

2. How long would it take to smoke everything together-start to finish if temps are hovering in the 20's and smoker is outside? 
     As mentioned before, I would finish off in the oven inside, need a good start time to be finished by 1:00 (hour to rest before pulling and serving)

I would plan on 20-24 hours of cook time. You can use FTC to keep it warm if they are done early. That will take care of your rest.

3. Dumb question-Can I smoke the butts and brisket together at the same time?  Preference on which should be on top racks or bottom racks?

Beef on top.

4: Will this all fit in my smoker????

It should. You might have to do a little meat origami, fold a brisket, etc.
I have smoked ~32lb of pork butt in my OBS.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

I have become a fan of doing the Butt day or two inadvace and when you chop the bark and mix with
your pulled pork and let it all rest together, I think you get a better tasting pulled pork.

The butt will reheat just fine and still be moist with maybe a tiny bit of apple juice.

That way you are just worring about the brisket the day of you event.