What's smok'n for the week-end

Started by MPTubbs, December 18, 2009, 05:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Quote from: mptubbs on December 18, 2009, 07:52:56 PMKa Honu.....want to trade states for a while?

How kind of you to offer; let me think about it.

(.0025 second time lapse)

No.

MPTubbs

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 18, 2009, 08:37:46 PM
Quote from: KyNola on December 18, 2009, 08:32:24 PM
Don't forget your BDS will shut off at 9 hours and 40 minutes.  When you refill the water bowl, reset the oven timer.

Can't wait to see the results.

KyNola

that is a good point if you don't have a PID, like me and you forget. ;D

thanks K N

Set it @ 9 hours and 40 min. just before I went nite-nite.  Will the PID over ride the factory setting of 9:40?
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Mr Walleye

Mptubbs

Yes... The way the PID is connected it will control the tower temps and the smoke generator is powered directly to the wall outlet. The smoke generator will still be subject to the 9 hr 40 min limit but the tower will stay at the set temp until you shut it off.

Hows the brisket coming?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MPTubbs

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 19, 2009, 06:14:55 AM
Mptubbs

Yes... The way the PID is connected it will control the tower temps and the smoke generator is powered directly to the wall outlet. The smoke generator will still be subject to the 9 hr 40 min limit but the tower will stay at the set temp until you shut it off.

Hows the brisket coming?

Mike

After 14 hours the Maverick is reading IT 165 and tower 184. I have it set @ 250 on the diggi.

About an hour ago I put in 4 potato's cut in half. Carved out the centers alittle and pored melted butter in the cavities. Then seasoned them with Mrs. Dash.

How long do U think on the spuds?

Mr Walleye

Mptubbs

Do you have a PID? I didn't see one in your picture.

Just a couple of comments on your tower temps. Where are you measuring the tower temp with the ET73 from? You want to measure the temp the meat is being exposed to. You don't want your TC above the meat level because the meat and the moisture coming off the meat will influence it. So, as an example, if you have your brisket on the 2nd rack up from the bottom you will want your TC just below that rack. This will show you what temp the meat is being exposed to. In this situation you will see a difference between the ET73 and what the DBS says the temp is because the DBS temp sensor is above the meat level. This difference will get tighter further along in your smoke as the meat temps rise.

I'm not sure on the taters... I've never smoked any.

Mike

MPTubbs

No PID yet.

Had the Maverick probe in front and the next rack up.  Will do as U instructed from now on.

U know.....U learn something new everyday!   ;D

MPTubbs

Get'n ready to unload.

Looks good to me!

Really didn't like the spuds...nobody did but the hounds.

Finished product!

So far the best brisket I've made, everyone loved it!

Mike.

Mr Walleye

Brisket looks excellent Mptubbs!  ;)

Mike

classicrockgriller

tubbs, you are the man!

Just looks great. Nice bark.

Show your Buddies that work of art.

Hope you can give us a recap on times and temps etc.

Nice Job! Don't tell everyone how easy it is. Make em think you worked hard. ;D

MPTubbs

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 19, 2009, 04:11:27 PM
tubbs, you are the man!

Just looks great. Nice bark.

Show your Buddies that work of art.

Hope you can give us a recap on times and temps etc.

Nice Job! Don't tell everyone how easy it is. Make em think you worked hard. ;D

Just think........3 weeks ago I thought bark was only on trees! LOL

I took about a pound to let my buds try it. They will have to wait until Monday night when we all get together at the bar. ( It's a weekly thing)

I used Pachanga's recipe.

Started around 6 p.m. with a preheat of 250*f. Smoked until 10 p.m. (would have smoked longer but had to shut garage door for nite-nite).
Before bed set temp to 200*f. Woke at 6:30 and bump up temp to 260*f and started the smoke process again until 12 p.m.
I never shut down the smoke generator because it was 25 outside and wanted to heat up better. I also had 3 bricks on top rack for mass and I think it worked out well. The smoker slowly very slowly gained temp.
It seemed the meat and the smoker were always about 20* apart...if smoker was 185* the meat was 165*. For every degree the smoker went up the meat was right behind it like clock work.
After 18 hours the IT reached 185* and that's when I wrapped it and into the cooler it went. 3  hours later it was feeding time!  My stepson his home from collage with a friend and they made a big dent in that baby....I think 5 pounds Worth. They said it was the best meal they have ever had. ;D

Thanks all for your help in getting me going in the right direction!

Mike.

classicrockgriller

Mike, great report. and besure and save the notes for future smokes
or book mark this link so you can reference to it.

Sounds like you have some Happy Campers with full bellies.

Congrats again.

classicrockgriller

KyNola

Way to go Mike!  That brisket looks great.  Congrats on a long and successful smoke.  I've got 4 butts running in the MAK as I type.  A little over 12 hours in and their IT's are running around 147 to 156, depending on their location in the MAK.  32f air temp.

KyNola

Pachanga

mptubbs,

Quote from: mptubbs on December 18, 2009, 06:02:59 PM
Pachanga says bottom rack for this smoke according to his recipe?
mptubbs,

I can move it up very easy!

Your thoughts?

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 18, 2009, 06:05:55 PM
that bottom rack is harsh.

what do you have your smoker set at?

I will go through my different posts and have probably made a mistake in my writings, but when smoking only a single brisket, I generally start with the second rack as CRG recommends.  The bottom shelf can be harsh as he states.  For the night smoke, I would recommend the second (or even the third third rack) for safety (and a good nights sleep); then move it down during the day as the "ground conditions" dictate.  The smoke will go slower, but it will be more forgiving.

That said, it is hard to argue with success.  Everything looks great and the bark is just the way it should look.  I am happy that everything turned out the way you expected.

Different smokers run a little different and it looks and sounds like your final product is as good as it gets.  If you had a moisture bleeding (how was the moisture?), tender brisket with a nice black bark, that is all you can ask for. 

I am happy that you used the mustard slather.  The mustard slather really helps to protect the brisket during the first hours of the smoke and takes the place of mopping.  This keeps the door closed while the Bradley is building up a head of steam during the first hours of a smoke.  I consider mustard slathers a thick concentrated mop.  Many famous mops created and used by barbeque legends contain dried mustard and vinegar (sounds like prepared mustard to me) and other legends use mustard slathers on their brisket. Vinegar and mustard both react in separate ways to enhance the tenderness and moistness of the brisket.  While not necessary to a great bark, it enhances the crust nicely.  Board members who have used it have reported back favorably as you have.

Mustard Slather on Brisket and other Meats
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0

One method to keep the single brisket more moist and to limit the heat on the bottom rack is to place it on the second rack and foil the center of the first rack.  You can even make a foil bowl with some water or beer directly under the brisket to catch drippings for making a mop or other uses.

I notice you used the loose foil wrap on the vents.  That has improved my heat distribution.  CRG has modified a vent/heat deflector by closing down the back vents some and opening the front vents.  I and probably others are experimenting with this.  The foil works well but this may be a more permanent solution when all of the experimental reports are posted to the board.

It looks like you used a large water pan; the larger the better.  It should always be filled and refilled with boiling water. (One brave member, to be left nameless to protect the guilty, confiscated and placed into servitude his wife's cake pan without her knowledge or consent.  When I told my wife about this, she placed her hand over her mouth, eyes got wide and she said "oh no".  Then she promptly checked out the bottom of my Bradley).

I also like your idea of the brick heat sinks.  How did you feel about their performance and benefits? 

As I stated earlier, it is hard to argue with success and it sounds like your brisket was approved by bar buddies and by educated college boys.  That is good enough for me.

QuoteJust think........3 weeks ago I thought bark was only on trees!

I have mentioned several times that bark is the hallmark of Authentic Texas Barbeque brisket and ribs.    Bark is the condiment to the interior meat.  When done right, sauce (served on the side) is used in small quantities if used at all.  It looks like you know how to get the bark right.  (for more on the science behind bark read "I prefer to smoke totally naked" below)

There are many good methods to smoke a brisket and to each his own.  This method works for me and consistently turns out a brisket that emulates and extols the virtues of the ones served in Texas barbeque joints.  Maybe that's because these are the same techniques that I was taught by several pit bosses and old time Texas cowboy smokers.  I am glad it worked well for you.  Continue to improve on Brisket Pachanga and report back so we can all learn how to enhance our smokes.  I, personally, am forever a student.

Thanks for posting the good report and information.

For others reading this thread, below are some of my thoughts concerning brisket if you are interested.

Brisket Pachanga
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=532

Photos to go with the recipe
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.0

I Prefer to Smoke Totally Naked - A Brisket and Ribs Manifesto
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12455.0

So your brisket doesn't fit - solution here
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13080.0

How to make burnt ends
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13179.0

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Mike, Pachanga said you "passed" the mustard.     A+.

Now getta smokin something else.