Christmas Cranberry Brine for Turkey (with photos added)

Started by Smokeville, December 19, 2009, 01:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

The final product....

There was nothing "special" about the taste or texture, so I doubt I would do it again.

I think I would not use apple pucks as the wood flavour was almost too light.

Rich, who is going to bed.

classicrockgriller

That a pretty Turkey.

Habanero Smoker

The bird has a nice color. I generally use apple and apply 2:20 hours of smoke with good results. How many hours of smoke did you apply?

How soon after taking it out of the smoker did you taste it? If it was soon after you removed it from the smoker, taste it again this morning, you may find your taste is more sensitive to the smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 21, 2009, 02:12:00 AM
The bird has a nice color. I generally use apple and apply 2:20 hours of smoke with good results. How many hours of smoke did you apply?

How soon after taking it out of the smoker did you taste it? If it was soon after you removed it from the smoker, taste it again this morning, you may find your taste is more sensitive to the smoke flavor.

I used apple with some hickory for 5 hours. The last few I did I used cherry. I'm going to taste it today and see.

I've got the 2nd bird ready to go this afternoon and planned to go back to cherry, so that may change my mind.

Smokeville

I just tried a slice of the breast meat and the smoke flavour has improved. I still don't think the brine was worth it but the apple smoke is nice and mild.

I think today I'll use apple with some cherry.

Habanero Smoker

It may have just been flavor fatigue. If you become over exposed to a flavor, in this case the smell of smoke, your senses will get accustomed to it and block it out for a period of time. Smell makes up the majority of what you taste. You ever heard the saying "You eat with your eyes first"; well that not accurate. You eat with your nose first.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakrdrzfan

tsquared

QuoteThat looks like a girly turkey.
Kevin you're making me snort my morning coffee through my nose! Have a good one guys, merry Christmas!
T2