Modifying for Cold Smoking, Going Low Tech

Started by AKinGA, December 19, 2009, 04:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKinGA

So I needed to smoke some Beef, back home (Bosnia) we used to smoke beef in these self built smoke houses before the winter, size and shapes varied by a whole lot depending on who made it and which part of the country it was in, some big some small.  Here int he USA you can the smoked beef at specialty markets BUT it's expensive, and not always available, some is imported some is made here in the states by Bosnians.  The beef back home is called "suho meso", you can find bunch pictures of it online, http://www.google.com/search?q=suho+meso&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here is the recipe for the meat, basically salt it, let it cure in the fridge for some time and then hang to smoke for 2-3 days.
http://www.cookadvice.com/recipes/suho_meso-50870-recipe.htm

So since I have the Bradley I figured I try and smoke some in there, but the meat needs to be smokes in a very low temperature and for 3-4 days at that temperature, we're talking bellow 60 degrees.  Extending the smoke generator would solve my problem of not hiking up the temperature, BUT smoking the meat for 2-3 days would for sure eat up some chips, so I figured I look for another solution.  So looked around and few guys have done this online making a smoke box using a simple small charcoal grill and a some type of smoker box. 

Some have made the smoker out of old fridges, some used actual smokers. 
Few video links on YouTube guys using a fridge and Smoker but extending the smoke away from the box to get that cold smoke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS1DZl7yCA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w50BOL0r_8o&feature=related

So I figured I'd use my Bradley as the smoke box and use a old charcoal grill to make smoke in that way I'm not killing bunch wood pucks for 3 days straight.  I used few parts from Lowe's.  4" inch dryer extension, few 4" inch flanges, and couple of clamps for the pipe.

Put the flange through the smoker (4 inch fits perfectly through the Bradley smoker), and then bent the little ears out, hold the flange in place.

Attached the dryer extension hose using the clamp from the outside, got the extender pipe real tight on the flange and that held the flange even righter on the Bradley.  No screws or anything into the bradley.  When done undo the clamp and put the smoke generator back on.

Next was the smoke generator replacement, old small charcoal grill.  Drilled a starter hole in the lid.

Then using a jig saw cut out a hole for the flange so I can attach the other end of the dryer extension tube.

Then added the flange and did the same thing as on the Bradley side, flipped the little ears from the inside of the grill lid, and then secured it from the outside using few sheet metal screwes.  making sure I hit the little ear tabs when I put the screws in to hold the flange on securely.

Attached the hose to that end and that's it !!!  Got a cheap smoke generator, that I can use pieces of wood of chips for smoking.  Real low teach for specialty things.

Add chips, light them and we're ready to go

Now for the good stuff, meat that's ready to be smoked for few days at cold temperatures and cold smoke.

Will post some pictures when's all done in couple of days

classicrockgriller

That was a great idea and you recycled an obselete cooker. A+

ArnieM

That really looks pretty creative AKinGA.  We'd love to see the final result.

This is really an interesting forum.  The people here are kinda like "I got a rock, a hammer some duct and some plywood.  I'll build something!"  I've truly never seen as much innovation as I've seen here.  I figure that when a large asteroid hits the earth we'll be out there holding a piece of brisket over a glowing rock  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on December 19, 2009, 09:18:43 PM
That really looks pretty creative AKinGA.  We'd love to see the final result.

This is really an interesting forum.  The people here are kinda like "I got a rock, a hammer some duct and some plywood.  I'll build something!"  I've truly never seen as much innovation as I've seen here.  I figure that when a large asteroid hits the earth we'll be out there holding a piece of brisket over a glowing rock  ;D

I spit my drink down in my keyboard when I read this. But you know what? You are probably right! :D :D

mikeradio

Wow that looks good, I cant wait for the finished pics.  It might not use that may pucks , because you only lit one fire per day for 3 to 5 days.

Mike

classicrockgriller

Quote from: mikeradio on December 19, 2009, 10:56:30 PM
Wow that looks good, I cant wait for the finished pics.  It might not use that may pucks , because you only lit one fire per day for 3 to 5 days.

Mike

Looks like he posted he is using wood chips (non Bradley pucks) for his smoke source.

AkinGa brought a new wrinkle to the page. This is kewl.

Habanero Smoker

Very innovative setup. The recipe you linked stated to keep the meat in near freezing temperature. You state it needs to be kept below 60°F. What is the actual temperature are you smoking them at?

What I found with using bisquettes, you would not have had to apply smoke the full time. When I make triple smoked bacon, I would only apply 3 hours of smoke per day, for three days and the smoke flavor was great. Though even that is a lot of bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Also if you happen to have a cold smoke set up, such as the cardboard box or one of Bradleys, you can put a hot plate in it with a pan full of wood chips and smoke that way. I have done this on more than one occasion. You can use just about anything to make the smoke and then carry it through a smoke box.