Hello from Riverside, California........

Started by wildbill100, December 20, 2009, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildbill100

I bought my new BDS from Bass Pro Shops yesterday mostly because of all the good things people have said in this forum......What a great forum!....I have learned so much already and there is so much information that it can make your head spin........I have got 13 chicken thighs smoking now on the patio........nice day here ab out 70 degrees with light cloud cover......Is 5 hours enough time for that much chicken?......Is the best way to tell when done with thermometer? :'(

classicrockgriller

Hiya wildbill and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your new BDS.

You will want to smoke/cook them thighs to a IT temp of 165.

Habanero Smoker

If you don't have an instant read thermometer, you can also tell when they are done by piercing them with a toothpick. If the juices run clear they are cooked well enough. Don't be afraid if you see some red meat especially around the bone area. This is common in poultry that is cooked slow, and sometime due to the fact that chickens are slaughtered at an earlier age. If in doubt, touch the red area with a paper towel. If the towel is clear it is done, if it is red or pinkness it need to be cooked a little more.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KevinG

Welcome wildbill100, I like to play it safe and use a thermometer, they're not that expensive, but I really like my Maverick, it pretty much pages me when it's done or if my smoker should act up (like me not setting the time correctly). ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum wildbill.

Riverside is my old stomping grounds, was born in San Bernardino St Bernadine's in 1960.............oops   :D  Lived in Wrightwood for a couple years after leaving home.

nepas

deb415611

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Wildbill  :)
I stomped in Riverside too.  :D Went to RCC and UCR and lived there in 1995 to 1996
Carolyn

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

aha638

Welcome wildbill100!  I am in Riverside, and have been since 1938.  

Fuzzybear

Welcome Bill,

I too am from that area!  Lived in Arrowhed for several years in the early nineties..last home was in Glendora/San Dimas area - Riverside was the go to place for off roading locally and shooting!
fb

ArnieM

Hi wildbill and welcome to the forum.  So, how did the thighs come out?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

wildbill100

Thanks to all for the great welcome......The chicken was great and I do have a couple of questions......I left the skin on the and now think that maybe I should have removed it first?....The skin was very tough!......The meat had a great flavor........ and all was consumed by family..... :)

ArnieM

Some people will skin the thighs.  Some, like me, will finish the chicken in the oven or on the grill to crisp up the skin.  Going all the way in the Bradley is probably a bit like vulcanizing.  :-\
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Fuzzybear

I leave the skin on but don't eat it - cook all the way (165 degrees) in the smoker sitting on a beer can full of apple juice

OU812

Welcome to the fun wildbill.

You wont get crisp skin on poultry when you finish in the Bradley, as Arnie has stated, you have to finish on the grill, the fryer or in the oven.

I like to cook till the IT hits 160 F and finish on a hot grill, turning often and pull off when they hit 165 F.