Homemade Tamalies

Started by classicrockgriller, December 20, 2009, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Did about 10 dozen homemade tamalies today for Christmas.

2 1/2 dozen were spinach/mushroom/sweet onion

The rest was the Butt I smoked yesterday.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 20, 2009, 07:28:08 PM
Did about 10 dozen homemade tamalies today for Christmas.

2 1/2 dozen were spinach/mushroom/sweet onion

The rest was the Butt I smoked yesterday.

DAMN NICE CRG

Those get me homesick  :-\

deb415611

Wow,  very nice CRG!  Doesn't make me homesick but does make me hungry. 

KevinG

Wow, those things are a lot of work. Nice job!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Caribou

Those look great CRG!
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

I don't do this very often but someone usually helps me when it comes time to putting them together.

This is the first time I have put smoked Bst Butt in them and they are very very very good.

OU812

Man thats a BUNCH of tamales CRG.

I would be very interested how you did them from start to finish as I have never made them and I love the ones I get at this Mexican joint I eat at.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on December 21, 2009, 04:43:19 PM

I would be very interested how you did them from start to finish as I have never made them and I love the ones I get at this Mexican joint I eat at.

Gonna make a few more on wensday and I will post some pictures.

ronbeaux

I've made them many times but they never come out like the Mexican joints around here. I suspect it is because of the way I'm making the masa. The stuffing part is killer, but they just don't finish with the same texture as theirs.

How do you make the masa??? I just followed the directions on the bag that some evil Mexican Grandma wrote on there to piss off us new guys.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 21, 2009, 04:54:41 PM
Quote from: OU812 on December 21, 2009, 04:43:19 PM

Gonna make a few more on wensday and I will post some pictures.

That would be great, thanks CRG

classicrockgriller

On this batch, I used corn oil, chicken broth, paprika, little sea salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder.

Sometimes I pulse up jalapeno and mix in.

classicrockgriller

Ron, I also used that doubled smoke butt for the meat.

ronbeaux

OK, the outer batter. How do you mix it up? Mine sucks. I steam the heck out of it and it's either too gooey or too dry. Even tried real lard in the batter. Like I said, many times I've stuffed them with left over Q and the filler is slammin but the batter is just not right.

classicrockgriller

The ingredients I posted were mixed in with the Tamale masa.

ronbeaux

OK. Consistency? Peanut butter, or pancake mix, or bread dough? I'm not ragging, I'm begging. The flavor I have down.

I plan on lot's of left overs and tamalies are a good use for them and they freeze well.

The last batch I did I used a peanut butter consistency but may have made them a little too thick because they took away from the taste of the stuffing with the extra corn batter. I'm thinking thinner but when I did that they fell apart when eating them. The old Grandma Lady around here makes them perfect and I would love to be able to duplicate that.