Homemade Tamalies

Started by classicrockgriller, December 20, 2009, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I use a peanut butter consistency and spread on with a butter knife.

I use a 36 qt steamer and I have to rotate my pot around to get an even cook.

I do have some that just won't harden up with steam so I just lay out on a cookie
sheet and put in oven at 200. Flip them over after about 15 minutes and then watch
them till it is like I want.

ronbeaux

10-4. The oven trick sounds good.

Thanks!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

Glad I could help.

Am gonna make more on Wensday and use that Mojo pork and I will post some pics and exact ingredients.

Since that mojo is alittle sweet, I might add some jala to the batter.

KyNola

Very informative post CRG.  Looking forward to Wednesday's tutorial with instructional pics.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 21, 2009, 05:43:23 PM
10-4. The oven trick sounds good.

Thanks!

Start putting some of your extra husk on the bottom first to slow down how much steam is sent out them steam holes.

That should do the trick.

ronbeaux

I have been using a large steamer and packing them in there like you have shown. My thinking is that I may be packing them in too tight and some are not getting attention.

Visited Targils today while passing through Opalousas and scoped out a perforated 1/2 size steam table 4" deep pan that fits right on top of a normal pan. Looks like I could lay them all flat in there, probably around 40 or so, pop it onto one of my other pits and let it steam and smoke at the same time. ???

classicrockgriller

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Heck of an idea.

I have smoked cooked tamales before by laying out a wet paper towels
and covering them with a wet paper towel. I sprayed them with diluted
water and apple juice during the smoking time and they were most excellent.

Do you flap both ends when you lay them flat?

ronbeaux

That's just it, I haven't tried the laid out flat method yet. The pan is 20"x13"x4" deep and fits into another the same size with a 1/2" space left to pour water and a lid is available if you want to cover it. I have a few already and they fit perfectly on my Primo XL so I don't think I would need a lid. The ceramic dome would allow the steam to roll around and do the cooking.

As far as laying flat. I think some would leak a little but I don't see them ruining. I'm just not ready to cough up $30.00 for a new pan right now!

classicrockgriller

you could probably piggie back the first roll and then not worry about it after that.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 22, 2009, 02:07:43 PM
That's just it, I haven't tried the laid out flat method yet. The pan is 20"x13"x4" deep and fits into another the same size with a 1/2" space left to pour water and a lid is available if you want to cover it. I have a few already and they fit perfectly on my Primo XL so I don't think I would need a lid. The ceramic dome would allow the steam to roll around and do the cooking.

As far as laying flat. I think some would leak a little but I don't see them ruining. I'm just not ready to cough up $30.00 for a new pan right now!

If you try this and I'm not saying it won't work you might want to consider somehow suppending a cover over the top of the Tamales for the sake
of condensation drip down (not good eats) off the residue of your smoker from all of the moisture.

Pachanga

CRG,

Pardon me for intruding on your recipe and thread.  The following recipe might be appropriate as an additional thought since Ron mentioned lard as an oil.  

Your tamales look great.  I like your varied fillings.  I also like your dough additions. 

You mention you used "corn oil this time".  What other oils have you used?  How do the different oils compare in taste and texture?

Ron,

Here is an excerpt from my tamale recipe.  I wrote it after a lot of research, observation and experimentation.  I was on a quest to get that real (dare I say authentic?) tamale taste and texture.  I use homemade lard that is rendered slowly.  I do not care for the canned lard that is hydrogenated due to taste and health considerations.  In the recipe I say to beat until spongy.  That is a very important step. The word fluffy also comes to mind but I used that on beating the lard; another important step.    Maseca comes in two grinds; tamales or tortillas.  Obviously, don't use the tortilla grind.

I think the chicken broth brings a lot to the party.  The reserved broth refers to broth left over when making a chicken filling for the tamales.  I still use chicken stock no matter what the filling.  

Masa:
2 Cups Maseca for tamales (this brand is recommended for best results and is the main seller in Mexican Groceries)
2 cups lukewarm reserved chicken broth
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp Sea Salt
2/3 cup lard

Combine dry ingredients and then add Chicken Broth to make soft moist dough.  Place lard in a mixer and beat until it is light and fluffy.  Add Dough and beat until spongy texture is achieved.  About 10 minutes.  This is a very easy process.  Some recommend buying premade masa.  The problem with this is it must be no older than 2 days and I do not trust that masa in the cooler is that fresh.

Steam for 45 minutes to an hour.  If freezing, do not steam until ready to serve.

Good luck and Arriba,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Thanks Pachanga for info.

I use the Maseca Brand masa for tamales, but I use corn oil instead of Lard.

I don't usually make tamales but maybe 2 to 3 times a year, but we always enjoy them.

Pachanga

CRG,

I have not used liquid oil.  I am interested in your thoughts and photos if it is not too much trouble.

Thanks for posting.  You are a machine to have turned out so many tamales.

Good luck and holy tamales, that is a load.

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

I try to get everything ready and get two to three people to put the Tamales together.

Of course we get all size and shapes of tamales but we have fun doing it.

KyNola

And not one beer is harmed in the making of these tamales! :D

KyNola