Broken Door, again, and Home Depot Henges

Started by starship, December 22, 2009, 02:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Be careful starship.  I have some nasty arthritis.  One knee gave out about a week ago and I went down a half flight of stairs - luckily carpeted.

I'll never cease to be amazed at the people on this forum with their ingenuity and creativity. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

HawkeyeSmokes

Nice fix there starship!

You just can't keep a good man smoker down.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

jfriess128

Good looking repair. I need to do the same thing. It's has been 6 months since you posted these. How are the hinges holding up and is there anyhtiong you would do different?

Also, did the latch come form Home Depot too?

starship

What henges? Smile!  I put them on and forgot them. Yes, that have worked very well.  Latch was home depot also.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

TestRocket

I'm glad you're Ok and got the Bradley back together. It looks good and tight. I see you have installed a shelf for your PID. I've been thinking about ways to give me a shelf for my PID and remote temp probes and I like what I saw in the PIC. Please feel me in: PICS or whatever you can because I want to do something and I'm concerned about the thin skin on the Bradley. Thanks a lot!

starship

The bradley is sheet metal skin, and as such; sheet metal screws work well. Just use short ones that won't go all the way through to the inside.  HD sells shelve brackets, that and some pine wood, and paint.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

TestRocket

beefmann

carleethian

Any way you can repost the picture? The bottom of my door is busted up too and want to figure out how to fix it. Thanks!

TedEbear

Quote from: carleethian on December 27, 2018, 09:21:41 AM
Any way you can repost the picture? The bottom of my door is busted up too and want to figure out how to fix it. Thanks!

Here's mine.  I bought the hinges from HD.  I guess I could make it look nicer if I primed and spray painted them flat black but I'm the only one who looks at my smoker and the fix works.

Greek Wizard

I hope it's OK to bump this, but I had the same issue with the bottom of the door breaking, and looking to get a fix, however the images in this post are all deleted.

Is there anyone that can help me with the old (or newer photos) of how this can be fixed?

Again sorry in advance for bumping such an old thread.

TedEbear

Quote from: Greek Wizard on July 04, 2021, 11:17:46 PM
I hope it's OK to bump this, but I had the same issue with the bottom of the door breaking, and looking to get a fix, however the images in this post are all deleted.

Is there anyone that can help me with the old (or newer photos) of how this can be fixed?

Again sorry in advance for bumping such an old thread.

I've searched for the last 10 minutes on Photobucket, Google Photos, my desktop PC and anywhere else I thought I may have pics of the hinges I installed from Home Depot but I could not find them. 

It was a fairly easy mod.  I bought two hinges from Home Depot and some self-tapping sheet metal screws.  I laid my Bradley on its back and set the door in place.  After lining it up, I used the self-tapping screws to attach the hinges.  A year or so later, I removed the silver hinges to dress them up a bit.  I grinded the corners and spray primed/painted the hinges high temp flat black. I don't think it had to be high temp paint but I had a partial can of it already.

I will post some measurements of the hinges I used and take another pic of the result later today.  Right now it's 4:15am.

The reason the original door hinges break usually has to do with the fact that the front feet are attached to the plastic controller and not the smoker cabinet itself (bad design).  There's a foot mod that moves the front feet back a bit onto the cabinet and thus eliminates the problem.  I did that around the same time as the door hinge mod.  There's a write-up with pics if you're interested in doing that.

Here's a link to it: Front Feet Modification

TedEbear

Here are the hinge pics I promised from earlier today.  The size is 2.5"W x 2.5"H.