duck confusion

Started by Northern_Smoke, December 22, 2009, 11:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

So my plan is to smoke 2 domestic ducks I got from my butcher. I have the brine already made and it is a tried and true method i have been using for poltry for a while now. I have done ducks before on my propane BBQ with a rotisserie and a Smoke Pistol. But the smoke pistol broke and i don't have the room to rotisserie 2 full ducks.

So now i am trying to figure out if i should cold smoke them and do them in the oven or attempt to fully cook them in the Bradley. Its not hard to cold smoke in my part of the country this time of year. A week ago we were -35C and with the wind chill, it was -52. This week isn't so bad, only at about -12C or so. Now my concern with fully cooking the birds in the Bradley is that the skin will be rubbery. I did some chicken thighs in the Bradley and they tasted excellent but the skin was simply not edible.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these methods since i am hoping to do these for Christmas day.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

FLBentRider

If skin is your thing, then I would cold smoke them and finish in the oven.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Northern_Smoke

What do you think about mostly cooking in the bradley to let the fat drip and get a nice well rounded smoke and then finishing in the oven to crisp up? Not sure if that will help with the skin or not

KyNola

I wouldn't cold smoke them at all.  I would hot smoke them through the smoking period and then transfer them to your house oven to complete the cooking process.  After the smoke process is over the Bradley is nothing more than a somewhat inefficient oven with the kind of cold weather you have.  Your house oven will allow you to crisp up that skin like you're looking for.

Just my opinion.  Let us know how they turn out!

KyNola

Northern_Smoke

Thanks, that is kind of the way I was leaning towards. I will try and take pictures BERFOR it is all eaten. I have taken so many pictures to post on the site but usually they are after its all eaten. Or sometimes i get a before/as its being made but then i get caught up in the manly act of eating meat with my hands and forget to take pictures.

car54

Try hot smoking for a while then use this technique.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/2006/150best/roast-duck.html

I have used it twice and it turns out great.

Brad

ArnieM

That recipe looks good Brad.  I've never done very well with duck but I have ruined a couple of geese in my time.  :-[

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how the duckies turn out.

N_S, you know they should rest a bit after roasting.  That should give you some time to take pics before tearing into them.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.