Smoked Haddock or Cod recipe

Started by buckmaster1974, December 22, 2009, 02:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckmaster1974

Hello everyone,
Just bought my first smoker ( Orginally Bradley 4 rack). First of all, just wondering if I should have gone with the digital????? Will the orginal hold its temp without alot of trouble? Secondly, just wondering if anyone has a good recipe and set of instruction for smoking Haddock and or Cod fillets? Would love to hear what everyone has to say. Thanks.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum buckmaster1974!

Getting the hang of OBS temp control has a little learning curve, but it's not bad.

You may want to add a PID later that will give you precise temp control.

I haven't done haddock or cod, but I'm pretty sure I remember it being mentioned here before.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

Hi buckmaster1974 and welcome to the forum.  :)

I have an OBS and it took a short while to learn the ropes but it is not difficult, I did add an PID at a latter date for added control but it is not a necessity. 

With regards to smoking cod and haddock fillets I would suggest cold smoking rather than hot smoking in any case. I have done a lot of cod and haddock this way and it works well.

I tend to use skinless fillets brined for between 30 minutes and an hour depending on size using an 80 degree brine. Rinse briefly and pat dry then leave overnight in the fridge to dry out and become slightly tacky. (pellicle formation)

Cold smoke (<80F) for around 4 hours depending on taste but perhaps start with a little less, I tend to use oak pucks. Once this is done the fillets can be frozen and vac packed.

To cook I just wrap the fillets in tin foil and bake in the oven with a bit of butter and ground black pepper. Herbs etc can be added to personal taste.
Manxman

buckmaster1974

Thanks for the help. I did about 5 pounds with a 5o/50 brown sugar/course salt brine and let soak for 16 hours. Smoked for 3 hours with an alder / maple puck. TURNED OUT GREAT!!!! Now for some pork chops...........anyone have and good recipes for a good sweet smoked chop???