My smoker just got a new home

Started by Northern_Smoke, December 22, 2009, 08:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Well i have been scratching my head thinking about what i am going to do with my smoker this winter. It gets to -40 here some days. Well I was sitting at home and my wife phoned me and asked how big my smoker was. I knew something was up but wasn't quite sure. Its not very often the wife takes any interest in the smoker...other than "when is supper going to be ready". Well, she arrived at home with one of those rubbermaid sort of storage sheds. It was on sale...so any of you other Canucks that need help with the cold time smoking, head to Canadian Tire and pick one up. And as luck would have it, i re-sided my house this fall and had some 2in rigid insulation left over. I got it sealed up with an R value of 12 and it looks like this cabinet was an accessory from the Bradley site. The smoker fits absolutely perfect in it. And i have room in the bottom with the shelves to hold all my other smoking equipment.

I didn't get pics of the smoker in it but i will have some tomorrow to post up. Until then, here is the unit insulated and ready for the smoker.

Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Mr Walleye

Looks absolutely perfect NS!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

classicrockgriller

That is, as tenpoint5 would say, "Thinking outside the box".

You just might have helped more people than you will ever know.

Just one suggestion and I don't know that it matters that much
but you can get some HVAC tape and cover your cut edges and
it might help keep every thing nice.

hal4uk

NS...  Looks good!  It'll work!

MrC has one of those NOT INSULATED... 
Not as far north as you (Central IL), but we've had some COLD (zero) days already...
And he ain't missed a lick...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

hal4uk

Ditto on what CRG said...
That metal tape might help (and that yellow stuff might even be flammable?)
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 22, 2009, 08:35:59 PM
That is, as tenpoint5 would say, "Thinking outside the box".

You just might have helped more people than you will ever know.

Just one suggestion and I don't know that it matters that much
but you can get some HVAC tape and cover your cut edges and
it might help keep every thing nice.

Its funny that you mentioned the tape cause i was tooking through a box in the garage and noticed i had tuck tape...which got me thinking. But that HVAC tape would be even better. It would definitely make it look nicer and seal up the edges.

I just need to come up with how i want to run the smoke stack and where/how i want to do a damper. The smoker fits in so perfect. I almost want to head out and take pictures haha. I have about 1 inch side to side and 2.5 inches behind where the cords go which is why there is no insulation down at the bottom.

I will have to hit up MrC's and see what he did for his vent. I am sure it will give me some inspiration on how to do mine  ;)

I don't know if the insulation is flammable but my smoker has never gotten that hot to the touch. Even in the summer with the vent closed. I only assumed it was because of the descent insulation already. I guess i will have to test it and keep a close eye on it until i am sure its all good.

classicrockgriller

I have research the insulation and it is very flame retardant, but before it bust into flames

it can give off toxic gasses. In your case you have nothing to worry about. It will never get that hot.

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 22, 2009, 08:50:29 PM
I have research the insulation and it is very flame retardant, but before it bust into flames

it can give off toxic gasses. In your case you have nothing to worry about. It will never get that hot.
Well that is a relief then. Do you happen to know at what temp all this bad stuff starts to happen? I am guessing it needs to get pretty warm before it would start off gassing even.

Mr Walleye

NS

I don't think you will have any problem with the cabinet or insulation getting too hot. The Bradley does run fairly cool on the outside.

For a vent on the top I've seen someone on the forum here use a standard plastic roof vent that you would use on your house.

Here's a link to Squirtthecat's setup...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12857.msg147952#msg147952

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

classicrockgriller

NS, there was a post where someone actually cook the insulation in their oven.

Well he doesn't post anymore or we would ask him. ;D ;D

If I remember right (and I am old) it was 350 plus.

But go to the mgf web page and you will find out what you need to know.

hal4uk

See pics...

I think Squirt just lets the door gaps be the exhaust ventilation system...
The whole idea is to block wind/cold..  If it ain't "airtight"...  well...   GOOD!
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

That looks awesome!   No worries about it bursting into flame, there is only one section on the back of the OBS that even gets hot to the touch.   I put some large foil pans behind mine to act as a cheapo heat shield.

I haven't fitted a exhaust fan in mine yet. Winter snuck up on me.  What I'm going to do is install a range hood over it, and vent it out the side (through a dryer vent w/ a flapper)

For now, I just leave the doors cracked open a bit.  Use a bit of bungee cord to keep the doors from flopping around in the wind.

I do get condensation building up in mine, but it makes pretty smokecicles before they melt and dry.  :D

I'd be interested to hear what temps you'll see inside of that cabinet when the smoker is running.  Do you have a remote thermometer you can put in there?

Northern_Smoke

I do have a remote thermometer and as luck would have it, i am doing some back bacon and then some ABTs so maybe i will ramp it up and see what happens. I will keep you posted about the temps i am able to see.

Northern_Smoke

Well as promised here is a picture of the smoker in its new home. Just gonna run it and see what the temp of the cabinet gets to and the temp of the smoker as well. The outside temp today is -16C or 3F

FLBentRider

That shelf does not look any too happy to be burdened with that smoker!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!