4th Smoke, 1st Brisket. Advice sought

Started by Mat_M, December 23, 2009, 01:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat_M

Hello everyone. I have in my possession a 7¼ pound packers cut brisket. Got it today from Costco. I'd like to get some opinions on a cooking plan, here goes...

We are hosting for Christmas, about 12 people. We've got a ham, lots of veggies, and of course the brisket. We want to serve around 2PM xmas day, but here is my dilemma. The night before (xmas eve), we will be at a party from 6PM to around 11PM. What this means is that I have two options:

Ideally, I'd like to FTC for 2 hours.....

1) Start the brisket before we leave (5:30PM), and use a nice slow cooking temperature. Maybe 205°F. This would allow me ~18 hours of cook time, or 16 hours, and 4 hours of FTC.
2) Start the brisket when we get home, and give it 12 hours to cook. Maybe 225°F for 12 hours, and then 2 hours FTC.

So I ask you, experts of the Bradley, which option should I choose?

Pachanga

Will alcohol be served at the party?  It depends on how much you plan on drinking.

Good luck and pace yourself,

Pachanga

FLBentRider

I would go with option 1, probably put it in about 3:00PM

Empty / Refill the water bowl @5:30PM and again when you get home @11PM - also rotate the rack front to back @11PM

I use 200-205F for brisket.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mat_M

Holy smokes you guys are fast at responding. Alcohol will be served, but most likely it won't be enough to pass the time for me, they're not as big a drinker as my wife & I ;D

FLBentRider: So you're saying make it an even longer smoke, like close to 20 hours? Even though it's only 7¼ pounds?

Pachanga

Mat,

If you are Old Sarge, you can put it in after the party and end up with something spectacular.  Read his following post for a good laugh.

Of Blackouts and Barbeques by Old Sarge

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12955.msg149841#msg149841

What method are you using?

If you are smoking 100% in the Bradley,  I would go with plan # 1 and start off nice and slow just before leaving for the party.  You could even not preheat the Bradley, put the brisket on the third shelf and then adjust when you get home.  Things should be warmed up and going well.  I would still check things our during the night to be sure nothing crazy is going on (another reason to lower the drinking volume).

Be sure to replace the water pan with a large pan.  A good water source is needed.  There is a photo of one in this thread. 

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.0

The FTC will hold for several hours.  A heating pad in the cooler is helpful if you get done way early.

The main concern is being ready on time.  Not knowing your smoking conditions, I would think prudence would dictate starting before the party.  Keep the temperature at your stated 205, making sure that is an accurate temperature.  You can kick the temperature up in the morning or during your night time check.

That is a small packer cut.  It may be ready way early.  If I were to go with method 2, I would be up a couple of times in the night to adjust the temperature.  Just remember, brisket doesn't like to be rushed.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Mat_M

Awesome. You guys continue to amaze me with how helpful you are. I will be sure to report back...going with Option 1 based on your inputs.

Mat_M

Well everything turned out great! Thanks to FLB and Pachanga for the advice. I ended up doing about 6 hours at 205°, then 6 more at 215° (cranked it a bit when we got home from the party), and finally 6 hours at 225°. Took the brisket out at 188° internal and FTC'd for 3 hours. I used 9 hours of hickory smoke total, and it turned out awesome. The 12 people we hosted loved it and kept saying how tender the meat was. So I'm a happy camper ;D

For breakfast this morning, I fired up the 2-3 slices that remained with some eggs and some Arizona Gunslinger sauce. Here are two pics:

watchdog56

Nice job,I agree you have to love all the help form this board.

classicrockgriller

Mat_M, you just needed to get pointed in the right direction.

That Brisket is just beautiful. Nice bark! Nice and juicy!

Great job and thanks for the pics.

Congrats!

Pachanga

Mat_M,

Looks like you nailed that brisket.  Repeating CRG's comments. 
QuoteThat Brisket is just beautiful. Nice bark! Nice and juicy!

That looks like a real Texas Style Brisket.  If it tastes half as good as it looks, you are already a pro.  I am sure you will enjoy trying other regional styles that are posted on this board.  There are many fine smokers with excellent techniques, rubs and mops that vary from region to region.

Good luck and keep it smoking low and slow,

Pachanga