Just Ducky

Started by smokey bonz, March 20, 2005, 02:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey bonz

Well my first try at smoking a duck wasn't all that it's qwacked up to be. It was a 5lb. duck which I marinated with brown suger and some other secrete spieces[:D]. I smoked it for 1 hour with apple bisquettes,and cooked it for another 3 hours at 200 degrees. The internal temp was 160. Wraped in tin foil for about 45 minutes with towel around it. When I started to carve into it, the juices were still red[:(]. Not alot of smoke flavor[V]. Had to nuke slices in order to eat it.Just thought I would pass my expereance to others so thay can learn from my mistakes[:(].

Oldman

smokey bonz,

Greetings!

I don't do duck for myself, as I never cared for the flavor. My wife and Mother love it.  Duck IMO is like the dark meat of chicken, and should be cooked until you get it to at least 180 degrees F. otherwise as you just found out it is bloody. I also suggest turning up your heat in the unit to at least 225 F. I suggest at least three hours of smoke.

I'm sure someone soon will come along that has done more duck than me and be able to add more suggestions.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Welcome aboard smokey bonz,
I have smoked duck, and I cook it to 160 - 165 degrees F, measured at the deepest part of the thigh, and used three hours of apple for smoke. The total time took more then 5 hours at 210 - 225 degrees. Though there may be some red around the bone; especially the joint, the juices should be clear. Other then the skin being like leather, the duck was good and well cooked.

Where was your meat thermometer placed? If it was in the breast, you need to get it deep enough to get to the center of the meat, and as far away from the fat as possible. The best place to check the temperature is in the thigh. Also, once your thermometer reaches 160 or 165 (what ever your preference) before removing the duck move the temperature probe in and out slightly. If there is a drop in temperature, the probe was not inserted correctly the first time. Leave the duck in until the thermometer reaches 160 degrees again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)