Sausage Question

Started by gotbbq, March 22, 2005, 12:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotbbq

When smoking sausage do you prick the casing to promote the fat to drip out?  I'm trying my first sausage this weekend.[^][^][^]

gotbbq

3rensho

I've always left the casing intact and have great results.  Just did a load of Kielbasa that way.  The only ring that was pricked was the one with the thremometer probe stuck in it.

Tom

Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

whitetailfan

whoabbq...

No - do not prick your casing.

If you are rendering the product at all, the grease will find a way to escape.  More serious to that though, is that sausage should not be cooked at such a temperature that the fat is breaking down.  Check on your recipe and directions, but the goal is to keep the fat pieces recognizable as such.

I do not claim to be an expert on sausage yet, but I have done some.  The basic philosphy I follow is not to cook above 180deg.  At that temp I get some grease etc coming out where the sausage is cooking unevenly along one of the sides, but in general its not supposed to happen.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

Rich,
I would not reccommend putting holes in your casing. You really don't want the fat or moisture to escape. Made plenty of sausage and never had a problem.  Cook to internal temp of 152F.[:D] I love smoked sausage![:p]
If you have grease/fat coming out of the casing your smoking to hot.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

gotbbq

To All-
Thanks, I just finished 3 racks of bb ribs and 1 spare rib.  Tomorrow, the sausage experiment[^][^][^]

gotbbq

Chez Bubba

I guess the moral of this story is.....don't be a prick(er)![:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />I guess the moral of this story is.....don't be a prick(er)![:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Chez I've said it before and I will say it again... you are one sick puppy.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Olds,
Don't encourage him![:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thunder Fish

The only time I will pierce the caseing is if I have the sausage directly over top of other meats that need the fat running off them to keep the meat moist.I prefer this over the bacon method.Did a cross rib roast 2 weeks ago,I let the temp get to 157 and the roast came out well done but not overly dry,just well done [xx(].Next roast will get pulled at 145-150 ish ,Saturday I think [:p]

cmattNgeorgia

well, all i have to say is:  AWESOME!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna love my new Bradley!
BTW:  I took the above advice and did not puncture the casings.  I just put 'em on low and took it slow...

Chris

Jasper County Firefighter
"Where-ever you find smoke you'll find us!"

Crazy Canuck

Cmatt
Welcome to the forum. Looks awesome. Slow is the way to go with sausage. Try to not exceed 160 degrees F. Fat will not render into grease at this temp and lower. It takes longer to achieve internal temps but you will have a better product.

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St. John BC

SoupGuy

Be sure to allow the stuffed sausages to dry about an hour (in cooler) after stuffing and before smoking! This definately helps to get an even color (or do you say "colour"?) over the entire sausage.

eh?

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

Thunder Fish

Crazy Canuck thanks for the,never thought of it,temp tip ,love mild Italian sausage did a bunch last weekend to 155(LUCKEY)
Terry
Maple Ridge B.C. [:D]