Prime Rib

Started by arausch, December 23, 2009, 06:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arausch

Any ideas for a rub for a 7 pound prime rib?  I do not want to cover the flavor of the beef, just enhance it.  I will be smoking with oak.  Thanks and Happy Holidays

FLBentRider

I use Kosher Salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

I will also cut some slits and insert some garlic slivers.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

A good house rub for prime rib is 1 cup coarsely ground salt, 2 cups coarsely ground black pepper, 1/3 cup corn starch (or flour), 1/3 cup granulated garlic, and 1/3 cup oregano.  The amount is discretionary but remember that this is thick cut of meat.  I pack it on heavy.

I am also more interested in the meat flavor.  This may be more than you want but it works for me. It is a nice enhancement.  I use a herb rub under the above house rub with the following ingredients as a guide.  Add or leave out as you see fit.  Sometimes I use everything and others just half. You are not going to penetrate the meat very far and I think of this crust as a condiment.  Salt and Pepper would be just fine but a more complex crust is my preference.  The herbs also add a subtle aroma at the table which works for me. If using the herb rub, go lighter with the aforementioned house rub.

Herb Rub.

1 tsp Beef Granules
1 tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
1 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
1 tsp ground bay leaves
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1/2 tsp New Mexico Chile
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Celery seed
1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Ground Red Pepper

Wet the meat a little and press in.  Then rub the house rub over the herb rub.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

MPTubbs

Quote from: Pachanga on December 23, 2009, 06:25:12 PM
A good house rub for prime rib is 1 cup coarsely ground salt, 2 cups coarsely ground black pepper, 1/3 cup corn starch (or flour), 1/3 cup granulated garlic, and 1/3 cup oregano.  The amount is discretionary but remember that this is thick cut of meat.  I pack it on heavy.

I am also more interested in the meat flavor.  This may be more than you want but it works for me. It is a nice enhancement.  I use a herb rub under the above house rub with the following ingredients as a guide.  Add or leave out as you see fit.  Sometimes I use everything and others just half. You are not going to penetrate the meat very far and I think of this crust as a condiment.  Salt and Pepper would be just fine but a more complex crust is my preference.  The herbs also add a subtle aroma at the table which works for me. If using the herb rub, go lighter with the aforementioned house rub.

Herb Rub.

1 tsp Beef Granules
1 tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
1 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
1 tsp ground bay leaves
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Tarragon
1/2 tsp New Mexico Chile
1/2 tsp Rosemary
1/2 tsp Celery seed
1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Ground Red Pepper

Wet the meat a little and press in.  Then rub the house rub over the herb rub.

Pachanga

I'm do'n Pachanga's recipe tommarrow at 9 am.with a 8 pound prime.
let U know how it turns out........Pachanga has not let me down....always turns out great! ;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

ArnieM

Damn Pachanga, you just HAVE to post some pics of your spice cabinet(s).   ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on December 23, 2009, 07:07:37 PMDamn Pachanga, you just HAVE to post some pics of your spice cabinet(s). 

I think he has a climate-controlled CONEX in the back yard.

Pachanga

Ka Honu,

You've peeked into my back yard, haven't you?

I admit to being a spice junky.  Arnie got it right when he said cabinets, plural.  My seasoning station has smaller jars of spices alphabetically arranged in a thin drawer, laying face up.  Larger jars are in the cabinet immediately above. These are only one jar deep with little used kitchen items behind.  Monster jars are in the pantry.  Lesser used spices are vacuum sealed in the freezer door. 

I try to buy in quantities that will be used quickly to preserve the flavor.  I grind and toast a lot of my spices just before using.

Chilies are my favorites.  Bags of dried peppers (ancho, New Mexico chiles, pasilla, chile petines, chili de arbol, guajillo, etc.) are vacuum packed in the pantry, waiting to be ground or reconstituted and made into a paste.  I roast and freeze 100 to 150 pounds of Hatch, New Mexico chilies every August because they are available only once a year.

Fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil, marjoram, cilantro, chives, tarragon, oregano, parsley, garlic etc. are in the garden. These are picked fresh or harvested before winter, vacuum packed and frozen in small packages to be stored in the freezer door.  They are what I really like to use for brightening a dish.

I will stipulate to using a lot of seasonings in small quantities in rubs and recipes.  This may sound ludicrous (and probably is) but if you use prepared seasonings, rubs, or marinades; read the ingredient list.  They have more than salt and pepper in them.  Most have 10 or 15 ingredients.  Tony Chachere's started when Tony realized that he kept lugging the same 7 jars of spices around on his camping trips.  He combined them into one jar and the rest is history.  I make most all of my own rubs, marinades and sauces.

A lot of my seasoning recipes are more suggestion than recipe and jog my memory as to available spice combinations.

At any rate, I need the therapy.  Spices are cheaper than a shrink.

Good luck and spice it up,

Pachanga

oakville smoker

Pachanga

Is there any set up time required for the spices on the prime rib or just straight to the smoker after being pressed in?
Mine goes in Saturday and its just hanging out in the fridge right now.  Just want to be prepared.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

MPTubbs

Quote from: oakville smoker on December 24, 2009, 08:09:07 AM
Pachanga

Is there any set up time required for the spices on the prime rib or just straight to the smoker after being pressed in?
Mine goes in Saturday and its just hanging out in the fridge right now.  Just want to be prepared.

Warming to room temp.

Installed and waiting for the magic to happen!

Oakville-
Rubbed mine down the night before with Pachanga's rub.

Pachanga

Oakville,

I have rubbed and wrapped it with just the herb seasoning (house rub just before the smoke) and just put it straight in the smoker  with the herb rub and house rub.  I don't notice a difference.  My theory is that a lot of transfer happens in the hot moist environment of the smoker; more so than in a refrigerated environment.  On long smokes of any kind, I generally, rub it and go to the smoker.  On PR, I am more interested in developing a crust to act as a condiment to the meat.  I am not really interested in seasoning the interior meat.  I want the full unaltered beef flavor to come through.

I also am in a quandary over the salt factor.  Salt is a flavor delivery system as in brining, but it will draw moisture in a dry environment. If I use a rub with much salt, I don't let it sit long.  I generally put my meat straight in the smoker after a salted house rub.  I try to pull back on the salt in a rub, hence the herb rub and then using less house rub.  However, salt is a prime  seasoning and should be used.

Hot grilling is more of a cold marinating environment for me.

I am sure there are those who have different conflicting theories and I would probably not disagree with them.  As I said, I am still in a quandary over this subject and have not read much science supporting long or short rubs.  As I have stated before, I am forever a student.

Pachanga

oakville smoker

Thanks much
I might get this ready the night before as it will have to visit the smoker early in the AM for the complete cook time in the great white north here.  That is if I dont have my version of a Bradley manion built by then and its in a warmer environment.  I figure worst case is
the roast is done early and it gets happy doing the FTC thing until dinner which will probably add to the moistness and flavour
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Pachanga

MPTubbs,

I am anxious for the to see the results.

It looks gooooood. 

Pachanga

MPTubbs

After 3 hours.  IT temp of 110*.  Turned oven down to 200* and opened vent to 3/4 in hopes to slow down the IT rise.

Pachanga

mptubbs,

Open the door and let things cool down a little or pour a little cool water in a foil bowl on the shelf under the PR.  It will act as a heat sink.

Pachanga

MPTubbs

Quote from: Pachanga on December 24, 2009, 10:51:09 AM
mptubbs,

Open the door and let things cool down a little or pour a little cool water in a foil bowl on the shelf under the PR.  It will act as a heat sink.

Pachanga

After opening the door many times I shut down the smoker.  IT was 119* after 4 hours......boy did that smoke quick!

Will monitor the IT with the maverick and when the IT starts to drop I'll turn the smoker back on to a temp of 140*.

It's now 1:16pm and were going to eat around 6:30. I'll let the IT temp go to 125* then wrap for a while in the cooler. Then to the oven @ 500* for my crust.

Mike.