Prime Rib Bradley Smoker vs Oven

Started by jrockfl, December 24, 2009, 08:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrockfl

Tomorrow is the day and I was thinking about cooking my 6.5 lb prime in the bradley smoker. No smoke.
I have made them before in the oven and they have come out ok. Nothing like you get at the restaurant though.

How does the prime rib come out in the bradley vs the oven?

FLBentRider

What temp did you cook it at in the oven ?

Without smoke, the Bradley is a 500 Watt oven.

I have not decided if we are smoking our rib roast and transferring to the oven or just the oven..

Either way, I am going to cook @ 200F until an IT of 120F, then FTC until 10 minutes before serving time.

Then into a 500F oven for 8 to 10 minutes to put a nice crust on the outside.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jrockfl

I have tried different ways in the oven. Start off at 500 for a few minutes and then reduce it down.
I have tried at a lower temp like 350 and cooked till ready.

Pachanga

As FlBentRider says, the Bradley is just an oven if you do not turn on the smoke generator.  The other difference is the oven is a dry heat (it can be moist but there is no moisture venting) while the Bradley can be adjusted to a dry or moist environment.

Therefore, the answer to your question is mainly do you want a smoked product or a non smoked product cooked in a moist environment (both Bradley) or do you want a dry heat environment (Bradley or the oven)?   The oven is easier to control for most as far as temperature because they are more used to a oven.    

My family is not a smoke on everything family.  They prefer the lightly smoked PR to a oven cooked one using the same method.  The moist environment is the key.

It is your preference.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga