Road Kill Grill Seasoning - Part Two

Started by ArnieM, December 24, 2009, 12:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Here are a few pics of the stuff I got today.  I't trying to learn from freenepas.  Lookin' good.

The jars below are divided into 4 sections, each with a different spice but all related for their primary purposes.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Looks like you have a bunch of different things to try. Lucky you!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Thats cool, nice score! Looking forward to the write up in the newsletter.  :)

squirtthecat

Very cool.   I've got one of those 4-to-a-jar varieties at home...    It's good!

That meat seasoning looks interesting..

KevinG

Wow, looks like you got the whole collection. I'm interested in how they turn out tasting.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ka Honu

Arnie -

STOP!!!  DO NOT OPEN THOSE CONTAINERS!!!

My trained eye detects imperfections in packaging which may well cause unpleasant cooking and eating experiences, possibly even fatalities.  Overnight them to me immediately for proper disposal (which can only be done in a tropical environment within 2 miles of a presidential traffic nightmare vacation in progress).

Whew!  Glad I caught that before you were seriously hurt.

ArnieM

Sorry KH.  I missed your post while I was cooking.  You're correct.  After dinner I had to drag my sorry a$$ over to the cabinet and grab the JD.  I think I've killed all of the nasties by now so I'm able to post.  As you know, I always appreciate your concern and gracious willingness to help us out of a tight spot.  ;D

I'm not ready for a review yet but these are my initial thoughts.

I've found it doesn't take much seasoning to liven things up.  The seasonings I've used so far are pretty course.  A lot of salt, some heat and nice flavor.  A pretty nice balance.

OK, so here was Christmas Eve dinner.

A piece of beef tenderloin sprinkled liberally with the road kill seasoning.  To be blackened in a pan and the into the oven for finishing.

Steamed the lobster tails with a sprinkle of the "Fish Tail" seasoning and of course some drawn butter on the table..  Baked potato and some broccoli in cheese sauce.

Came out pretty well.  (Yeah, I like butter on baked potato.)

-- Arnie

KevinG

Are you sure you don't mean potato with your butter?  ;D Looks good Arnie, I haven't had lobster in a while, and that's my favorite - Surf & Turf!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

That's a great looking Christmas Eve Dinner. Arnie
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

I'm trying to work my way through this stuff.  I have to get the tastes, put together recipes and a review.  I tried some on lamb (American) tonight.  You know, those tiny little expensive chops - hey I could eat 4 of those.  ;D

Tonight's menu consisted of the tiny curried lamb chops, baby red potatoes and stir fried spinach.  I'm sure y'all will have your own opinions but it all went pretty well together.

The Seasoning:

I think I have to get my camera recalibrated - the counter seems tilted.  I'm not a big curry fan.  My wife tasted the seasoning and said "Add More".  So, the seasoning turned into more of a rub.

OK.  Got the little red potatoes on.  Heated up the wok and got some fine-sliced ginger and garlic in there, along with a TBSP or so of peanut oil and a few hot pepper flakes.  I love a wok.  You can push some stuff into the bottom to cook, then push it up on the side to rest while pushing more stuff into the bottom.  OK, it's IMHO.

The lamb chops go into a hot cast iron pan with peanut oil on the stove top, covered in foil.  Kind of like baking.  Why waste the whole oven on these two tiny chops?

The spinach goes into the hot wok for a few minutes.  Almost done here.

Finally plated up.  It got rave reviews from my wife and three cats.  (Chops at about 145 IT.)

If nothing else, I hope I've given someone ideas for what to do when your smoker is buried under snow and the wind is howling.  Have a good one guys.

-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on December 28, 2009, 04:09:26 PM... ideas for what to do when your smoker is buried under snow and the wind is howling.

Thanks, Arnie.  I'm sure that will come in handy...  Not!

(but it looks good enough to try without any other reason).

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks good Arnie!

And it's hot dogs for me tonight.  ::)
HawkeyeSmokes