GFCI keeps tripping during initial seasoning

Started by maho, December 25, 2009, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maho

So I got a Bradley Digital 4 rack smoker for Christmas (from Costco). Today I am trying to season it using the Hickory chips that came with it. But every time the GFCI that are on our external outlets tripp about 10 to 15mins in. I am now on my third attempt and getting a little irritated.

The outlet I am using usually works fine. We built a deck this summer using only that for drills, compound saw etc. and it newer tripped once. Today there is nothing plugged in except for the Bradley.

Outside temp is about 35-40F, oven is set at 200F and I set the smoker for 1 hour, but as said the GFCI tripps about 15min in... Is it really too cold to smoke today or do I have a fault product?

Thanks for you help!
Mads

classicrockgriller

Move the Bradley to a non gfi plug and see if it trips that.

I have mine plugged into a gfi but it has a one foot cord.

maho

Does not trip non GFCI sockets.

I am using only the standard cord that came with the smoker.

Thanks
Mads

classicrockgriller

I believe they have two dif rated GFI's. A 15 amp and a 25 amp.

Quarlow

Check your fuse panel for that circuit and see what size breaker is on it. You can also get a tester from homedepot that checks circuits to see if they are properly wired. They have 2, one that will test GFCI's and one that just checks regular circuits. They are handy things to have. Or have an electrician check your panel. You can have drills and things that will run on a circuit that is not proper and then somethings will not.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jolt

I am an Electrician and i don't think it would make a difference if you plugged into a GFI receptacle or not but maybe the receptacle is just being sensitive. They are like that sometimes. The purpose of the GFI is to prevent electric shock. However if you are tripping the breaker you are overloading the circuit and will have to move the smoker to a different plug or remove some load from the circuit you are plugged into.

Roadking

Quote from: jolt on December 30, 2009, 03:36:08 AM
I am an Electrician and i don't think it would make a difference if you plugged into a GFI receptacle or not but maybe the receptacle is just being sensitive. They are like that sometimes. The purpose of the GFI is to prevent electric shock.
However if you are tripping the breaker you are overloading the circuit and will have to move the smoker to a different plug or remove some load from the circuit you are plugged into. Not true with a GFI. The OP states he is tripping the GFI not the breaker, two different devices.

Inside a GFI there are coils wrapped around each leg of the circuit. These coils measured the load on the leg and if the measurements are equal the circuit is operating properly. It doesn't matter if the load is 1 amp or 10 amps, just as long as they are equal. If one of the legs senses a ground the measurement between the two will not be equal and the circuit will trip. I would say that inside the Bradley there is probably moisture or a bad circuit causing a potential imbalance.

ArnieM

Mads, have you resolved the problem?  If so, how?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jolt

I know how a gfi works. I have replaced a gfi and the equipment that it was plugged into works fine. I was just trying to be helpful. Been an Electrician for 20 years.

ArnieM

OK, my $0.02.

First, I'd like to hear back from the OP.  With no feedback, we're wasting our time.

I'd have to agree with RK in that the fault lies in the Bradley.  It works for a while and then knocks off the breaker.  This might be due to cycling on to off causing a fault.  Or, who knows what happens after 15 minutes or so.

I'd first call Bradley customer service and explain the problem.  It may have been seen before.  Their CS is quite good.

Other than that, bring the smoker back to Costco (if possible) and get a replacement.  If not possible, call Costco customer support, explain the problem and ask them how it can be handled.  Costco's customer service is also quite good.

jolt - I'm sure you weren't being lectured so don't take it that way.  I'm not an electrician but I've done electronic design work for the military, aerospace and commercial computing.  I knew what a GFI is supposed to do but didn't know how it worked so I appreciated the explanation from RK. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Roadking

Quote from: jolt on December 30, 2009, 10:28:33 AM
I know how a gfi works. I have replaced a gfi and the equipment that it was plugged into works fine. I was just trying to be helpful. Been an Electrician for 20 years.
Been a Chief Electrician for 36 years and had 105 electricians working for me and only 15% of them are worth anything. The rest only think they are electricians because they hold a union card. Had 3 guy's that all they did was change bulbs and because of the union they were labeled "Electricians". Darn those 3 couldn't even spell electrician.  ::)

Yeah, some members get huffy and puffy. The electrical trade is too vast to know it all. The ones that can't take a little help would never be hired by me or wouldn't get the responsible jobs.

I've had some appliances trip GFI's out and the fix was to get a hair drier and dry out the unit that's making the fault, a real easy fix.

jolt

I had no idea that i would be personally attacked for just trying to help out in these forums. I will be sure in the future not to post anything in these forums.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jolt;

I wouldn't take replies too personally. You input is just as valuable as the next member, and I hope you continue to contribute.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

Hey Jolt don't let one person who doesn't play well with others run you off. We all enjoy the new members and try to have fun with everyone. I have to admit his first comment did seem bullish and insensitive. But his second post more or less reaffirmed his first as not being terribly friendly, but don't be bullied off of the forum. We all have alot to offer this forum and that includes yourself. We try to just have fun and be informative but sometimes there's a slip of a cog. Stick around we'll still have fun, besides we need more canucks to help balance out them "mericans". ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Jolt, I agree with Habs.

Roadking is a nice guy and really don't think that was directed toward you.

Come on back and have fun talking about smoke.