bisquettes not burning completely

Started by catfishrigpig, December 25, 2009, 04:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfishrigpig

I just bought a new 6 rack DBS. After 2 trial burns the bisquettes don't seem to be burning very well. They are still same size as new and only black on one side. Is there any way to adjust the time on burner to completely burn bisquettes? To me there is a lot of waste for price you pay for bisquettes. Am going to save unburnt bisquettes for my old homemade upright freezer smoker which does a good job. Just wanted something I could use on porch for smaller batches. Is this normal not to burn bisquettes completely? A friend of mine has the OBS in 4 rack and says his burns almost all up before dumping in water. What gives?

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum catfishrigpig!

A couple of questions:

1. Did you pre-heat the smoke generator ?

2. Which bisquettes are you using? I am some other forum members have noticed that for some reason the Jim Beam pucks do not burn as well.

You might also want to check how much time each bisquette is getting on the burner. It should be about 20 minutes each.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

FLBR has given you some great info.  One other piece of info is that the Bradley pucks will still retain their shape even after having been burnt.  They don't burn to a pile of ash like charcoal.

KyNola

catfishrigpig

I took pictures of bisquettes on both runs. Was using apple. 1st run I didn't preheat, 2nd run did for 30 min. 2nd run was worse for not burning completely. Tell me how to insert pictures and will post.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum catfishrigpig.

Just a couple of others ideas to add to what FLB and KyNola have said.

1. Are you using an extension cord for the smoker? To light of one or to long could be causing a problem.

2. Are there other things running off the circuit you are plugging into?
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with HS. I ran into many ptoblems when I run more than one thing of the same extension cord.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

Yes and if you are using a cord get one the heaviest you can like 12 ga and as short as possible. I was having that problem so I made my own cord 15" long and 12ga cable with the best ends you could get, then I cheked what all was on the circuit I had to plug into and found it had too many things on it so I had to unplug some stuff. Problem solved.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

catfishrigpig

1st run w/o extension cord into circuit that had freezer plugged in. 2nd run with 12 guage extension cord on dedicated circuit. I'll try shorter cord or build another dedicated circuit. Don't think that is problem but will try and respond with results.

anderson5420

Best answer: they don't burn to a pile of ash, don't expect them to.  They come out looking like black hockey pucks even when things are working correctly. These hockey pucks then fall into the little pan of water pretty much intact.  It took me a couple of runs to figure this out.  But if it is smoking like crazy, advancing a new puck every 20 minutes or so, and the food comes out well, it is working fine!
So many recipes, so little time!

MPTubbs

I've notice on mine some would turn all black while others the center is not burned up yet floating in the bowl.

Probably the diff. kind of woods burn different.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

pensrock

One thing I notice is if I do not clean the gunk (technical term) off the puck burner, it does not allow the pucks to burn as well. I think if you are on a dedicated circuit and have a heavy gauge cord, it should be fine. I always preheat the puck burner when I preheat the tower. I use mostly apple and have have little problems with  them burning.  ???

catfishrigpig

Today I ran a dedicated circuit-no extension cord. I preheated the burner for 1 hour before advancing any pucks. The first burnt about 2/3, the 2nd and 3rd were black on bottom but sawdust color on top and full size. I still think it needs more heat or longer time on burner.

Habanero Smoker

I have this problem with only the Jim Beam bisquettes.

Do you have your cabinet turned on, and what temperature do you have it set to? Many members have reported that during cold smoking (and I'm beginning to notice it also) that the bisquettes don't completely burn.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

I've got a 6 rack DBS and mine never burn completely.   Black on sides and bottom.   Tops look new.   I also have an OBS and use it out side in summer.    I use a 50 foot extension cord.    The pucks there burn completely.   I think it's the burner and it's not hot enough.