Hi From Portsmouth UK

Started by ali.par, December 28, 2009, 05:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali.par

hI folks
Just unwrapped my new Bradleys original this morning - attempting to season it.  It seems to be making lots of smoke but the temperature reading is only 100f and the instructions say it should be 150 f.  Is this normal??  Is there anything I can do to get the temperature up.   The heat setting is at its highest and I have tried opening and closing the vent. 

There is no significant wind but the temperature outside is just above freezing.

Looking forward to joining you smokers - any advice very welcome

Ali.par

Quarlow

Welcome ali. You got to keep that vent open 1/2 to 3/4 and wide open for poultry. For seasoning just keep it wide open.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

If you can't get the temp up with the vent open for awhile then open the door a crack and look at the heating element it should be glowing red. If it is not try to unplug and replug your cords and make sure you seat them good and firmly. You should be able to get that thing up to 240 degrees no problem. Make sure you have a good power supply. If you plug into an outlet that has other things running on it try to find an outlet that has nothing on it. And if you are using a extension cord make sure it is good and heavy, like a 12 ga one and as short as possible. I made my own which is 12ga and only 15" long. Plus I have to plug my computer in to a different circuit when I am smoking so as to have good power.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum ali.par!

I'm with Quarlow on this one - just the smoke generator will get you to 100F.

Make sure the element in the tower is glowing.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Yep unplug and replug all the connections. Get them seated really good, should fix your problem
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

How long have you had the smoker on? In colder weather it will take a while to warm up.

Another thing you can try, since there is no food in the smoker, close the vent to 1/4 opening.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ali.par

Hi Folks
thanks for the advice all is well now

just trying my first experimental smoking of trout

Tenpoint5

Did it fix itself or did you do something to get it to work?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ali.par

I think it was just the connections were not fully in   It is certainly getting up to full heat now
thanks for all the advice received