Christmas brisket .... it died on me.

Started by outdoorsfellar, December 26, 2009, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

Well, today was the day I've been waiting on. I had my 4 lb brisket ( only because as my 1st, I didn't want to spend any more & it looked pretty good ) with my rub applied for 30 hrs & setting out of the fridge for an hr or so before popping it into the OBS. My temp was set for 220 & I put it in at 9am. The IT never did get above 135, my vent was pretty much wide open. After a 3 hr smoke, I did turn the generator off & my temp did stay @ 220, though it was starting to struggle after about 7 hrs. I even mopped the meat for a few hours & then at 5pm, we left for a few hours. I turned on the smoke generator to add some heat just in case. When I returned home at 10pm, the IT was 122 & the box heat was lower than 200. I had made moinkballs yesterday with good results, & the temp was right where I wanted it the entire time for two batches of those.
I really didn't think it was going to take over 7 hrs for this to be completed & when I left, all I could do was keep my fingers crossed. I had applied boiled water a few times as well, so I'm quite mystified as well as angry & ....  emabarrased for posting my failure on here, but what could have possibly gone wrong ? I had talked at an earlier time about the temp reading from my PID & ET-73 being different from one another & such was the case again today. I did put both probes in hot water when I got home & has identical readings. I'm just glad I didn't plan on this being a meal for anyone, other than just having the time to try it.

Any ideas ?

MPTubbs

That sounds about normal to me.  Brisket take a long time....remember slow and long!

I did a 10 pound brisket and it took 18 hours.

I kept the smoke generator on during the whole process to keep the heat up.

Also I had it racked 2 up from the bottom with bricks on top rack for mass.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

HawkeyeSmokes

Where are you placing the sensors for the PID and the Maverick? I like to hang them from the bottom of the rack the meat is on. This gives a pretty good idea of the temp the meat is being exposed to. Just keep them off to the side so the temp of the meat doesn't affect them and to keep drippings off the probes.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

I'm sorry to hear your brisket didn't work out.  It can be foiled with a little liquid and put in the oven at 250 or so for a little while longer.

All of the brisket I've done has gone about 2 hours per pound but that will vary depending on how much poundage is in there.

It sounds like the cab temp wouldn't stay up there for some reason.  Try unplugging and replugging all of your power connectors and run it empty when you get a chance.  See what happens.  You should be able to hold at least 220-240.

And, don't be embarrassed.  We, the weather and the smoker sometimes screw up.  Posting questions and getting suggestions is how we all improve and spread the knowledge.  

Let us know how you make out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

outdoorsfellar

Thanks for the quick replies. My PID wall mounted sensor is right underneath the lowest rack . I had the brisket on the 2nd rack slot up from the lowest. The Maverick sensor was right alongside of the brisket. I understand low & slow, but THAT long for a 4 lber ? I was giving that probablility the benefit of the doubt just the same, but still, I can't figure out why that much of heat loss in both the IT & OBS temp as well. For 13 hrs,this just leaves me quite befuddled.

I'll keep the connections in mind as well & check running it empty as well. Keep the suggestions coming !  Thanks.

Tenpoint5

If I had to guess from what you posted you was in there and opening the door way too many times. Every time you open the door you basically start over trying to heat up the cabinet. On a long smoke like that I don't open that door until the smoke stops rolling. With BB's I usually let the smoke roll for 4 hours, Then I open the door and replace the water.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 26, 2009, 07:53:18 PM
If I had to guess from what you posted you was in there and opening the door way too many times. Every time you open the door you basically start over trying to heat up the cabinet. On a long smoke like that I don't open that door until the smoke stops rolling. With BB's I usually let the smoke roll for 4 hours, Then I open the door and replace the water.

I would agree with 10.5 about opening the door to often. That will add to the overall time. Plus your PID sensor is mounted lower than the meat is smoking at. What that means is, the temp at the meat is lower than the PID is set for. As you go higher in the smoker, the temp gets lower.

Hope this helps some!
HawkeyeSmokes

pensrock

I have my PID thermocouple mounted about the middle of the tower. Not sure where Auber suggests to mount a thermocouple.

HawkeyeSmokes

Here's a link to the mounting instructions for the Auber sensor. Mounting Directions

They are showing it mounted by the top rack but IMHO I would locate it near the second or third rack up.
HawkeyeSmokes

outdoorsfellar

Great replies ! As for my PID sensor, I can move it up a notch to the next level. All I can do as far as the brisket is concerned, is buy another, but bigger, so I'd certainly know that I'm in it for the long haul, & leave the damn thing alone ... Lol.