New Year's Resolution # 1 - Make Sausage. Need help.

Started by ArnieM, December 28, 2009, 11:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

That's terrible. You'd think they'd give you at least 3 sizes. Every grinder/stuffer I've bought I got 3. At least it didn't go to waste.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Did you smoke the two links you made?

At least you got a nice Butt to smoke! ;D

OU812

Every thing was sounding like a good day of sausage making till the stuffing tube shortage, one to big one to small, bummer.

I find that I tend to use Italion sausage more in bulk than as sausage links. I like to brown it and add to lasagna and spaghetti in place of the GB.

I hope this little set back dont keep you from making some more killer sausage.

Habanero Smoker

What a hassle. I only used my KA stuffer once, but was using natural casings. But being innovative and having a second set of hands comes in handy. If you buy butt bone-in you need to purchase at least 7 pound to get a good 5 pounds.

One tip when you are using the grinder. Fit the KA bowl into a larger bowl, fill the area between the two bowls with ice, and position the bowls so when you grind the meat falls in the KA bowl.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 13, 2010, 01:24:09 PM
Did you smoke the two links you made?

At least you got a nice Butt to smoke! ;D

I didn't smoke 'em, they're fresh - no cure.

Yeah, I have half of the 'sausage' butt plus another 6+ pounder I got when they were on sale
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on January 13, 2010, 01:34:48 PM

I find that I tend to use Italion sausage more in bulk than as sausage links. I like to brown it and add to lasagna and spaghetti in place of the GB.

Actually, had some GB in the fridge.  Added some of the sausage, browned it all up and added the tomatoes and spices.  Had it with Penne pasta last night.  It came out good and we still have enough sauce left for two more meals.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 13, 2010, 01:53:38 PM
What a hassle. I only used my KA stuffer once, but was using natural casings. But being innovative and having a second set of hands comes in handy. If you buy butt bone-in you need to purchase at least 7 pound to get a good 5 pounds.

One tip when you are using the grinder. Fit the KA bowl into a larger bowl, fill the area between the two bowls with ice, and position the bowls so when you grind the meat falls in the KA bowl.

I agree that natural casings probably would have worked.  Next time.

Thanks for the tip on the ice.
-- Arnie

OU812

Arnie

Whens round two?

I'm really lookin froward to seein some sweet lookin sausage from ya.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on January 14, 2010, 08:26:47 AM
Arnie

Whens round two?

I'm really lookin froward to seein some sweet lookin sausage from ya.

Thanks for the encouragement OU.  I don't know when round 2 will be yet, but it sure won't be 5 pounds worth!  I'll also use natural casings.
-- Arnie

Caneyscud

Arnie,

Try some Italian Sausage.  I made up some sweet italian sausage last month and boy was it good! Stuffed some and left some bulk to use to make some sausage pies - boy they were tasty.

Before long, Arnie will be writing a Charcuterie book!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 14, 2010, 12:11:36 PM
Arnie,

Try some Italian Sausage.  

That's what it was.

Before long, Arnie will be writing a Charcuterie book!

It'll be the quickest read you ever had!
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Well, today was round two.  I've gained an awful lot of respect for you sausage makers based on my experience so far.

Used natural casing this time and it fit the larger of the two KA stuffer tubes.  I used one pound of sweet Italian sausage mix to experiment with.  It took some time but I got six sorta lumpy links out of it.  I scraped, pushed and proded what was left in the machine out.  Wow, 1/4 pound  :(  So, I had a 1/4 pound patty for lunch  ;D

Cleanup took much longer than stuffing; sausage stuck in every nook, cranny and screw thread.  Certainly doing a larger batch would improve the ratio of stuffing to cleanup time.

I'm proud of my lumpy links.  At least you can tell they're home made  ;D

Round three, probably next week.
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

You go Arnie...

I'm waiting in the wings... watching... learning....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

FLBR,
I'm on the bench right next to you brother.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

To help clean the grinder run a couple of pieces of bread through it. Also an assortment of brushes really cuts down on the work of cleanup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)