New Year's Resolution # 1 - Make Sausage. Need help.

Started by ArnieM, December 28, 2009, 11:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Thanks Habs.  Boy, you know all of the tricks.

I just ordered the 5 pound LEM vertical.  The KA stuffer goes into the trash.

I'm looking at casings from Syracuse Casing Co.  They're up in your neck of the woods, sorta.  Did you ever deal with them or hear of them?

Thanks
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

I've never purchased any casings from them through the internet. I believe they only sell casings, and I generally will buy my casings when I am ordering other supplies. You can buy a small 12 ounce tub of their hog casings in most major grocery stores in my area. The only problem I have with the packaging is that they don't give the casing size. They are well known for their quality.

I'm glad you are giving up on your KA stuffer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Arnie, that stuffer will make you a stuffing machine in no time.

The KA is a good little grinder but aint worth a sh** for stuffing sausage.

The next time you make sausage you will ask your self
       "self why didnt I get a stuffer sooner?"

ArnieM

Habs - I have the 12 Oz tub.  My son-in-law picked it up at a grocery (Price Chopper I think).  I was kind of flustered that it didn't even say what kind of casing it was let alone what size.  It kinda looks like a ball of worms when you take it out; difficult to untangle.  Is that the way they all come?

OU - I'm sure you're correct.  But, it does add quite a bit of $/pound to the sausage  ;)
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on January 20, 2010, 03:36:17 PM
OU - I'm sure you're correct.  But, it does add quite a bit of $/pound to the sausage  ;)

As you make more sausage, the price keeps going down!  :D

You will like that LEM stuffer. I've got the same one and it works great.
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Like I say there is a reason the call it a grinder and not a stuffer!! You will love the vertical stuffer Arnie
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Habs - I have the 12 Oz tub.  My son-in-law picked it up at a grocery (Price Chopper I think).  I was kind of flustered that it didn't even say what kind of casing it was let alone what size.  It kinda looks like a ball of worms when you take it out; difficult to untangle.  Is that the way they all come?

A new Super Wal-Mart was just built close by and I have checked that store, but Price Chopper and Shop Rite in my area sells them in the small tugs. I agree they are poorly labeled. I haven't looked at them in a while, but I thought I saw either the word pork, hog or pig on the label. The way you received them is the common way they package salt packed casing, but they should have been more like folded into the tub with some tangling. Where the ends starts is difficult to find, so it is easily to get them tangled up. I find if you let them get to room temperature, they untangle a little easier.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Just that expensive first batch. After that - free  :D :D :D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 21, 2010, 04:01:11 AM

I'm with FL on that  ;D....   It makes such a difference! 

ArnieM

Quote from: deb415611 on January 21, 2010, 04:09:30 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on January 21, 2010, 04:01:11 AM

I'm with FL on that  ;D....   It makes such a difference! 

My wife said she'd better see PLENTY of sausage around here soon - draped over doorways, hanging from the ceiling fan, etc.  :o
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

OU812

After that first high dollar batch of sausage, that will come out perfect, you guys will be pumping out some killer sausage and looking for more recipes.

oakville smoker

Arnie

I had no place to hang the salami and pepperoni I made last Sunday
Being smarter than the average bear, I took over the laundry room
Emptied off the honkin dowells that are a make shift close line and voila, sausage central  LOL
Talk about using the whole house

Now they are in the garage drying out a bit, they are both cooked but I like a firmer texture

I have to be thinking about how to better hang and and store this stuff
I saw a laundry hanger at Costo last week.  Wife says that would make a good  sausage hanger, wouldnt it ?
Things that make you go  hmmmm
It just might happen, especially with my vertical stuffer in transit to me
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

ArnieM

HI OS,

Yeah, the clothes hanger may work for you.  In my environment (3 cats) the sausage wouldn't last 20 minutes.  Hmmm, maybe I could string some clothes line in the living room. :D
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on January 21, 2010, 10:39:18 AM
HI OS,

Yeah, the clothes hanger may work for you.  In my environment (3 cats) the sausage wouldn't last 20 minutes.  Hmmm, maybe I could string some clothes line in the living room. :D

How many bathrooms you have?

Make 'shower curtains' out of them and close the doors..